The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Car is Possessed!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37845)

SVeXy96 03-09-2007 12:53 PM

Car is Possessed!!!

So this very very very rarely happens, but from time to time...and all at once. One of my door lights will come on saying my door is open when it is actually shut, then my odometer stops working and my horn will honk all by itself! Last year it did it a few times, but only with the AC on and at low speeds. I stopped using my AC and it went away. It happened most recently when I was cruising around the countryside near San Diego and before that it happened a few months ago when I took my car to have the undercarraige pressure washed (but that time there was no honking) The honks are nice and even toots 3 in a row and then it rests for about a min and toots 3 times again!?!? Its kinda funny, but a little embarrasing. The first time it happened I stopped to let a guy cross the road and he was half way when my car started honking at him! He gave me a crazy look and I just put my hands up like :confused: . Anybody else had this problem and or know how to fix it?

Hocrest 03-09-2007 01:03 PM

Call a priest???

Sounds like a loose connection or ground at some point, I can't think of anything that ties into the door switch, speedo (I assume you meant Speedometer, not odometer??) and horn though so that will make it harder to find. The door light and 3 toots could tie into a security module, but that in no way ties to the gauge cluster or TCU. Something in the dash could affect the door light and speedo, but not the 3 toots????

When you say the door light comes on, do you mean the small red indicator in the dash to show an open door? or the lamps, either overhead or on the door??

Try removing the covers under the dash and just reach around and jiggle wires to see if you can reproduce the problem.

TomsSVX 03-10-2007 01:31 PM

sounds related to the security module to be honest. That would explain the 3 quick honks... But like Dave said, check ALL grounds first

Tom

ensteele 03-10-2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVeXy96
Last year it did it a few times, but only with the AC on and at low speeds.
I stopped using my AC and it went away.

I would suspect the security system as well.

Looks like the only solution is to Drive real fast and don't turn on your AC. :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Budfreak 03-10-2007 03:11 PM

Definitely the security module. It may have a loose connection or your car battery or alternator may not be up to spec and it's causing a lack of power situation at the alarm module. I worked for a remote starter and car alarm producer(JBS Technologies) as a technician for 2 years, And I know from experience that electronics like alarm systems don't like not having enough power. Believe me, I've heard much stranger stories than yours due to bad connections and bad alternators.:rolleyes:

SVeXy96 03-12-2007 08:58 AM

Hmm security system it is I guess...and yes hocrest I did mean the odometer! And yes its the red door light in the dash not the overhead lights. And the security does make sense because my red light always flashes and now its either on constant or it flashes really slow! So I guess I'll check it out...thanks so much for the help guys:D