The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Glove Box removal instructions? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33095)

cookiemunstr 05-06-2006 11:15 PM

Glove Box removal instructions?

Well i tried to remove my glove box today but couldn't get it out. Took out a lot of screws but it still wasn't going any where. Does any one know what screws to remove or is there instructions somewhere that could help. I'm trying to get to my security on my 92. Thanks

b3lha 05-07-2006 12:54 AM

Just remove every screw you can find. There are about 20 IIRC.

floatingkiwi 05-07-2006 11:54 AM

If you look from underneath you'll find 3 (or 4) screws that hold the bottom side of the hinge to the dash board. Also the black plastic bit that limits the travel of the lid can be slid out sideways, if you have a look you'll see what I mean. Requires a wee bit of force though.
Then the sucker should drop right off..

Matt

cookiemunstr 05-07-2006 07:16 PM

I got the glovebox door off, and then removed about 20 or so screwes that hold the black plastic in. But i couldn't get it out. I felt like i really had to pull it. Is there a trick or is there more screws to find. Thanks

It's Just Eric 05-07-2006 07:26 PM

If I remember right, theres also like 2 or 3 snap fittings along the top edge where the door meets...there really isnt any special trick...just yank it out.

ensteele 05-07-2006 10:25 PM

If you break something, you will know for next time. :)

cookiemunstr 05-08-2006 08:08 PM

well i got it off, and it took me about 1.5 hours to get to the 2 wires i need to get to. I'm trying to install a remote starter, door locks check, now the ignition wires. Thanks to all for the help with the billion of screws with the glove box. Going to put it back on tomorow, i jsut hope they are the right wires because they didn't match up with my colour codes (close but not exact). Crossing Fingers

kuoh 05-08-2006 08:23 PM

Umm...you might want to rethink that approach and verify that you got the wiring correct. "Close but not exact" is a good way of causing the magic smoke to leak out of perfectly good parts. FYI: You should need access to more than just those 2 wires if you're actually interfacing the remote starter with a working alarm. You will also need to bypass the IGN, ACC and starter interrupt wires to the alarm if you want the car to start and not set it off.

KuoH

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookiemunstr
Going to put it back on tomorow, i jsut hope they are the right wires because they didn't match up with my colour codes (close but not exact). Crossing Fingers

JIMSVX 05-08-2006 08:27 PM

It would sure be nice if we had a how-to with pictures on file for the next poor soul (who might be me :eek: )

kuoh 05-08-2006 08:31 PM

It is already in the how to.

KuoH

JIMSVX 05-08-2006 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuoh
It is already in the how to.

KuoH

I guess these ol' eyes don't work like they used to because I can't find it. Can you give me a clue where to look? :o

Thanks!

kuoh 05-08-2006 09:00 PM

Ok, perhaps I misunderstood what you were asking for? If you were asking for glovebox disassembly instructions, then it has pretty much been described here, but there are no pictures. If you were asking about the alarm, then the wiring diagram is in the Security System folder.

KuoH

cookiemunstr 05-09-2006 07:03 AM

I beleive he was asking about a How-To Doc on installing a remote starter. I was planning on making one up but I forgot to borrow my girls digital camera to take pics, i guess i can try with just word descriptions. We will see:cool:

kuoh 05-09-2006 07:04 PM

Well, here's a good source for the wiring diagram, but I wouldn't take the wire colors as gospel. I've installed remote starters for every car in my family and always test the wires with a DMM before applying power no matter where I got the information, even if I copied them straight out of the service manuals.

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...9&link=BULLDOG

As for a complete How To, maybe someone else will run with it. The SVX is very simple and straight forward as far as wiring up a remote start is concerned, anyone who can understand a pinout chart can do it. But, this is not a project for someone who isn't familiar working with automotive electrical wiring and splicing. The potential for trouble is pretty high, especially if they're lazy and don't test wires first and disconnect the battery.

KuoH

cookiemunstr 05-10-2006 05:12 AM

Yeah i know all the colour codes are different. So far i've searched for every wiring diagram that i could find with remote starters and kinda gone with the flow. So far i've hooked up from what i think is right with the door locks. (still confused on how they work with how the polarities switch with unlock and lock). I took that wiring diagram from the diagram off the security system. The diagram kinda fell on my face when removing my glovebox. and i think those colors were orange and blue with brown stripe. Ground i just found a solid screw with good contact. Brake peddle switch was white with red stripe. Tach sensor was a yellow wire on the B61 wiring plug, pin 16 off the ECM. (got that one from the ECM wiring diagram, that wire is called engine revolution output, i hope thats the right wire, if not please someone let me know, i don't want to kill the car!:eek: !).

Well thats all i hooked up so far, I've been going in steps. next step is to get to my ignition wires. I will also fix my other problem at that point with the ignition switch. I still have to wire my parking lights. Ok what are the parking lights, where are they. When i puch that button nothing happens. Please can someone help me out with that:confused: . Well I guessed this turned out to be a how to install a remote starter. I will post the rest of the wiring when i cross my fingers and push the button and it all works:D . Hopefully!!