The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Front Wheel Drive Question... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44873)

kwren 05-24-2008 01:16 PM

Front Wheel Drive Question...

Cost of fuel is a major concern for us all. We are hostages to the oil companies. There are things we can do! Make that three.
1. stop driving and just start walking
2. Buy stock in the oil companies and start smiling when we drive past a station and see the daily increased price gouging.
3. Find a way to get better mileage.
The only one that works for me would be the better mileage thingie.
Does FWD get better mileage?
If so could we add a switch to take out the AWD that could be actuated on the go without hurting the transmission?

The question is would it hurt the transmission to change from AWD to FWD while driving the car, and change it back to AWD while continuing to drive.

Installing a switch would be simple:)

Thanks,
Keith

Hocrest 05-24-2008 02:05 PM

A FWD may get better mileage, but an AWD with FWD engaged won't. This has been hashed out many times...

kwren 05-24-2008 02:09 PM

Bummer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 548811)
A FWD may get better mileage, but an AWD with FWD engaged won't. This has been hashed out many times...

:(...................

It's Just Eric 05-26-2008 07:29 PM

simple answer.... No.

kwren 05-27-2008 12:23 AM

I forgot the question

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric (Post 549086)
simple answer.... No.

:confused:....................

Trevor 05-27-2008 02:58 AM

To be a little more helpful, the problem is that the rear wheel drive machinery and the resulting friction/load and weight remains in place. Even though disconnected, the rear drive is still turned via the rear wheels and constitutes a remaining drag.

kwren 05-27-2008 02:09 PM

Thanks so much!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 549144)
To be a little more helpful, the problem is that the rear wheel drive machinery and the resulting friction/load and weight remains in place. Even though disconnected, the rear drive is still turned via the rear wheels and constitutes a remaining drag.

:)...................

joe62890 05-27-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 549144)

My thought exactly. Would gutting the rear end and "converting" it to be a FWD only vehicle make a MPG difference though. I would assume with the removed weight in the rear end you might see a MPG or 2 but I doubt it would warrant the work needed to do so.

Wolfy 06-01-2008 08:17 PM

the only way to change the awd version to fwd is to put that fuse in that certain part of the fuse box as it says in your manual. but even if you do that then you wouldnt be able to go over 25 mph and not very far... :(

kwren 06-01-2008 11:13 PM

Not really...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfy (Post 550059)
the only way to change the awd version to fwd is to put that fuse in that certain part of the fuse box as it says in your manual. but even if you do that then you wouldnt be able to go over 25 mph and not very far... :(

Real simple to put in a toggle switch that would put the fuse in or out of the same circuit if there was a reason to do it. A little confused about the 25 mph thing... see >:confused:

Keith:)

Manarius 06-02-2008 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 550092)
Real simple to put in a toggle switch that would put the fuse in or out of the same circuit if there was a reason to do it. A little confused about the 25 mph thing... see >:confused:

Keith:)

Technically, the FWD fuse slot is for troubleshooting only and the owners manual specifies that you shouldn't exceed 25-35mph with the fuse in.

Wikedjuggalo 06-02-2008 05:23 AM

I wish.......... 16 MPG around town!

crazyhorse 06-02-2008 12:37 PM

My Lego has the FWD switch installed. There is NO difference in mileage from FWD to AWD. Unless your tranny is binding the FWD fuse won't help. HOWEVER if the trans IS binding, the fuse will bring the MPG back to where it belongs.

That said if the trans is binding, you've got bigger troubles than just MPG!

& THAT is a story for another thread.

kwren 06-02-2008 04:03 PM

No kidding!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 550120)
Technically, the FWD fuse slot is for troubleshooting only and the owners manual specifies that you shouldn't exceed 25-35mph with the fuse in.

Good to know! thanks,
Keith:):)

redlightningsvx 06-02-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 550127)
I wish.......... 16 MPG around town!

That sucks i Used to get around 30 mpg FWD