The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   central clunk very costly help please (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33597)

down under 06-09-2006 06:15 AM

central clunk very costly help please

I have a clunk which no one can solve. On accleration from rest and when turning right from rest i get a clunking and banging which comes from under the centre consol. I have had the drive shaft out and balanced, replaced exhaust system, had gearbox out and had faulty bearing replaced in torque converter, checked engine and gearbox mounts etc etc and lots of $'s later clunk and bang still there!!!! It is possibly a minor problem but no one can solve it and now i am getting frantic. I have also replaced motor due to a major overheating problem so i cannot think of any other possible problem. My car is a 1994 with 200000km but current motor and g/box less than 500000klms. Has anyone any ideas please?

Earthworm 06-09-2006 10:48 AM

Has anyone looked at the front differential?

svxfiles 06-09-2006 11:11 AM

Rear trans mount broken
Front trans mount loose.

down under 06-09-2006 05:33 PM

yes to all

the gearbox has just been out to fix torque converter all mountings were checked engine and gearbox. Diffs front and rear have been checked and they are fine. It is not that sort of problem as it is not a binding type issue or noise related. Car drives extremely well with no other issues just a thumping coming up under centre consul and a soft cracking noise but not cv joint type noise more like a rubber dampened noise. I may have to mount a video camera under neath and go for a drive as it is impossible to replicate this problem on a hoist as it only happens under load. But i sure would like to no the answer as it is spoiling the joy of driving the car.

paddlesnz 06-10-2006 12:22 AM

Had exactly the same problem. Replaced the drive shaft centre bearing, Part No: 27037PA000. Problem gone.

Trevor 06-10-2006 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddlesnz
Had exactly the same problem. Replaced the drive shaft centre bearing, Part No: 27037PA000. Problem gone.

Others please excuse OT. How are things down your way ? :)

JDW-SVX 06-10-2006 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddlesnz
Replaced the drive shaft centre bearing

How were you able to do that? I have checked my driveshaft, and the centre bearing cannot be separated from the rest of the shaft!

:confused:

:)

Jason.

paddlesnz 06-10-2006 04:12 PM

On the JDM models, there were two types of driveshafts. The 4WS model used a driveshaft on which the centre bearing couldn't be replaced separately. Other models used one on which the centre bearing could be replaced.

Australian models used the same driveshaft as the JDM 4WS model then???

JDW-SVX 06-10-2006 04:35 PM

Interesting - why would they use two types of driveshafts?

After all, the transmissions and rear differentials would be the same!

I have now found out that two different types of driveshafts were used (at least on US models) - one uses a central CV joint, the other uses a central universal joint. It is this second type that has a replaceable centre bearing.

Which type of driveshaft do you have?

Jason.