The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Have you had a engine fail completely. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32541)

Dessertrunner 04-08-2006 12:42 AM

Have you had a engine fail completely.

Just had a thought was wondering if many of you have replaced engines and what was the reason that the old one died. Might give me a ideas as to what to look for.
Tony

Crusader 04-08-2006 06:11 AM

I had mine rebuit from Colorado Component Rebuilders. Before I sent it in I didn't know what was wrong with it, only that it was knocking bad. Turns out that somehow the oil disappeared (???:confused: still don't know how or why :confused: ???) and spun a main bearing.

Budfreak 04-08-2006 02:55 PM

Mine is knocking pretty bad when cold right now and I suspect a rod bearing. We''l find out when it dies.:rolleyes:

Phast SVX 04-08-2006 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budfreak
Mine is knocking pretty bad when cold right now and I suspect a rod bearing. We''l find out when it dies.:rolleyes:

if its knocking when its cold and not when it warms up im sure its just skirt slap.
phil

SVXMAN2001 04-08-2006 04:07 PM

hey phil, could you explain "skirt slap"? :)

b3lha 04-08-2006 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dessertrunner
Just had a thought was wondering if many of you have replaced engines and what was the reason that the old one died. Might give me a ideas as to what to look for.
Tony

What happened Tony? Did your engine blow up?

SomethingElse 04-08-2006 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
hey phil, could you explain "skirt slap"? :)

Isnt that when you lift a girls skirt and...oh wait wrong thread:D I think it means your cylnders are wearing and probably need to be bored out. Mine car does it just on startup till the oil pressure builds.

Dessertrunner 04-09-2006 12:54 AM

No my engine is okay its just that I can hear a slight knock inthe front but it might be something as it is not always there. I have 320,000 k on it and it still purrs like a baby so I needed to ask the question how these engine end up going to heaven. My bet is most die from radiator, hoses or short oil and not age. Oh yer and thermostate which I think would be number 1. So lets see if any one has one that died from old age.
Tony

Myetball 04-09-2006 03:52 PM

I don't recall reading any stories of an EG33 death from natural causes...i.e., high mileage issues. Sure NO2 and overboost can kill it.

Knocking in high mileage engines is usually either excessive clearance between the pistons and cylinder wall (piston/skirt slap) or worn rod bearings. Either way, it's not cheap to fix.

The most expensive part of the EG33 to rebuild is the shortblock. I think main/rod bearings cost over $500 for a complete set. Stock pistons are about $61 each and a set of rings will run almost $270. A full engines gasket/seal kit is about $240.

Add it all up with the cost of machine shop work and it's almost more economical to buy a new shortblock.

immortal_suby 04-09-2006 04:36 PM

Head gasket went on mine at 215,000 miles.
Other than that she sounded great - no knocking or smoke.

stallion 04-10-2006 09:36 AM

just so I can somewhat diagnose the condition of my engine, how does this 'knocking' you guys are describing sound like? Is it only heard in idle? How loud is it?

Budfreak 04-10-2006 09:45 AM

Well, Mine is pretty damn loud. I can hear it just fine inside the car with all windows up and so on. Mine started as a barely noticeable little tapping(The third day I owned it:mad:) and over the past year and a half it has grown from me having to open the door and stick my head out to hear it, To being so loud now I can hear it from like 100FT. away. It's so loud That I'm almost to embarassed to let it warm up before I take off because everybody can hear it knocking.:rolleyes: I still say rod bearings due to the fact of how it has grown over time and the fact it got MUCH worse after 4.44's were installed. You can still hear it when warmed up, But you have to listen for it and it's just like a tap.......taptap............taptaptap.........tap. ....tap..... When fully warmed up.

stallion 04-10-2006 09:56 AM

Is there any maintenance tips to prevent this from happening?? (Changing gasket etc that kinda thing..) Sorry I'm a total noob but I dont want to end up with a f'd up SVX!!! :eek:

want-a-fast-svx 04-10-2006 02:35 PM

The original engine lasted 70xxx and then I believe threw a rod havent torn it down yet. THen the new to me used engine only lasted about 4000 miles beofore the rod bearings finally crapped out on me. SO mine are not the best examples but thats my story. Now i work at subaru so now i can atleast get good prices on parts for the engine rebuild.

spinn360 04-10-2006 05:45 PM

a$$ out of u and me

I would assume that most SVX's live's end for there owners with the tranny rather then the engine. But you know what happens when someone assumes. :)