The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How do I know if it's the right one? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3971)

lee 05-01-2002 02:28 PM

How do I know if it's the right one?

My front differential gave it all up. There are no locally available cases, so I'm having a complete transaxle (used) shipped in - then I'll have a spare tranny I guess.

Anyway, how do I tell if I've got a SVX transaxle vice Legacy or whatever without disassembly? I have read Aredubjay's horror story about a Legacy unit. Any unique numbers or exterior characteristics????

My concern is I get a Legacy unit then things begin to die because the rear diff ratio is different and all that entails.

tia

jsvxstyle 05-01-2002 02:34 PM

all can say is get the number of the transmission you are getting used. there should be a number plate on it, then call the dealer and ask them for that number what it came off of, maybe that should do.

Aredubjay 05-01-2002 02:47 PM

There's no external "tell" except for the part number sticker that may, or may not be on the unit.

Barring that, your first sign would be when the tranny did not bolt up to the SVX flywheel.

Other than "counting teeth" those are the only ways I know to tell the difference. Unfortunately, the stickers were lost on the Legacy tranny when they cleaned it for re-build. I can't believe that Subaru uses stickers instead of stamping or a metal, riveted plate, for identification.

You can get the part number from the diagram at subaruparts.com

BTW, does anyone need a tranny for a 91 Legacy (non-turbo) with less than 10K on the rebuild? :D

jsvxstyle 05-01-2002 02:55 PM

it should have a identification number on a black plate either on the left side, right side or on the top of the bellhousing, is what ive seen. it should be the o.e plate. they dont take those off, because its a refrence number for warranty on the trans unit:D

lee 05-01-2002 03:00 PM

more questions

By the unit not bolting up, I'm assuming you mean the torque converter bolt pattern doesn't match between Legacy and SVX.

Given that, when one buys a complete transaxle, does anybody want to venture an opinion if the torque converter should come with it?

If it does, I can compare and have an instant confirmation.

If it doesn't, then can I count turns of the axle shafts with the rear output shaft and determine ratio? Are there differences in the shaft that using my old converter would disclose?

Aredubjay 05-01-2002 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jsvxstyle
it should have a identification number on a black plate either on the left side, right side or on the top of the bellhousing, is what ive seen. it should be the o.e plate. they dont take those off, because its a refrence number for warranty on the trans unit:D
There were no "plates" on either the Legacy trans, nor the replacement SVX trans. Again, there was only a sticker and no other identifying marks except for FHI logos that were cast into the casing. The sticker that WAS on my current trans was also washed away in the clean up for rebuild.

Boone 05-01-2002 03:05 PM

Hmm.. If you're able to get the VIN of the car it came out of it should start with JF1CX3. :confused: :p

Aredubjay 05-01-2002 03:06 PM

Re: more questions

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
By the unit not bolting up, I'm assuming you mean the torque converter bolt pattern doesn't match between Legacy and SVX.

Given that, when one buys a complete transaxle, does anybody want to venture an opinion if the torque converter should come with it?

If it does, I can compare and have an instant confirmation.

If it doesn't, then can I count turns of the axle shafts with the rear output shaft and determine ratio? Are there differences in the shaft that using my old converter would disclose?

Right. The bolt pattern doesn't math on the TC between the Legacy and SVX (found this out the hard way when they went to install the "real" SVX tranny).

I would imagine that a complete transaxle would include the TC. When I bought mine, it came with the TC which I had them rebuild along with the rest of the transmission (which, is giving me fits again).

Dunno about your last question.