The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My piston is now in the oil pan. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28553)

svxpassion 09-23-2005 10:40 AM

My piston is now in the oil pan.

So I bought my svx in May and I love it. It had a slight knock tho along with the auto being blown. So I dismiss the knock (stupidly but I wanted the car) and do a 5 speed conversion (feel free to clap). But driving the other night I downshift into 2nd only bringing the rpm's up to about 3000 maybe 3500.. and ZING. Engine dies. got the engine out of the car and pulled apart. The #1 pistion is in a kazillion pieces in my oil pan. CRAP. Is the SVX engine supposed to be pretty reliable? I bought an engine from JDM exchange for $900.. (it would cost me $1500 at least to fix mine). Under 50k on the new one!

Chiketkd 09-23-2005 10:43 AM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I seriously doubt your piston is in the oil pan - maybe metallic bits from the liners, etc.

These engines are rock solid when properly maintained. When you buy a used one - you never know what you're getting.

-Chike

svxpassion 09-23-2005 10:46 AM

It's the piston

It's deffinitely the piston. There's remains of the rings as well and the piston pin clips. I had a local engine rebuilder come and look at it. He was impressed with the damage. Lol

Chiketkd 09-23-2005 10:52 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ne_diagram.jpg

I can see pieces from the rings/liners/seals getting down there, but the piston itself is a pretty solid piece of metal.

The connecting rod and the crankshaft would have to get out of its way, before it could drop into the oil pan. If you can, take pics of the carnage! :)

-Chike

svxpassion 09-23-2005 10:55 AM

Will do

Sure I'll take some pics... Engine guy said it was the piston. It's in really small pieces lol. I'll see what else I can come up with. But I seem to recognize the piston skirt as well as the bottom (there's a groove in some pieces where the rings go. I dunno.
I'll take a picture when I get the time.. busy busy
Paul

Chiketkd 09-23-2005 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxpassion
Sure I'll take some pics... Engine guy said it was the piston. It's in really small pieces lol. I'll see what else I can come up with. But I seem to recognize the piston skirt as well as the bottom (there's a groove in some pieces where the rings go. I dunno.
I'll take a picture when I get the time.. busy busy
Paul

Hmmm...you said you bought it from JDM exchange - sounds like the previous owner must have done some serious damage to it (like run 10+ psi of boost or 150+ shot of NOS!)

-Chike

svxpassion 09-23-2005 11:08 AM

Well I bought the new motor from JDM exchange. The car I don't really know the history of owners. That's what my engine guy said... said it was probably amateur nos or someone raced the car. :confused:

Earthworm 09-23-2005 11:47 AM

Looks like someone Subafreak'd that engine :D

lhopp77 09-23-2005 08:00 PM

Motors Sources

I used a different approach for an engine. I paid $600 for a car that cannot be titled to get a good motor. Well, got all of the other parts too, including a good tranny. Of course it has more than 50K miles on it, but the motors generally last forever unless abused or not maintained.

Lee

SVXRide 09-23-2005 09:28 PM

If I read the first post correctly, the JDM motor he bought with less than 50k miles on it is to replace the one that just went "kaboom"...
I agree that the previous owner must have been running nitrous and put a hurt on the engine, ala SubaFreak, prior to you buying the car...
-Bill

TomsSVX 09-23-2005 10:12 PM

or you had a clogged injector and were leaning out that cylinder causing detonation... ;)

Tom

UberRoo 09-24-2005 12:53 PM

I blew up a piston on a 250cc two-stroke motor once. It took me forever to clean it out of the crankcase. The dang things are aluminum so a magnet is only good for finding pieces of the rings. It's amazing how many thousands of small parts they break up into. Fortunately, my engine was rebuildable, but the piston alone was a couple hundred bucks. You can buy a whole set for a domestic V8 for less than that.

Good luck with the mess. It sounds like it's beyond repair. Is it?

svxsubaru1 09-25-2005 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
or you had a clogged injector and were leaning out that cylinder causing detonation... ;)

Tom

Thats what i was thinking. When you change engines i would check to see if that fuel injector, or rail was some how clogged.

SVXRide 09-25-2005 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX

Tom

Yeah, but the knock sensors should have picked that up and pulled back on the advance....making sure nothing catastrophic like this happened...Jesse's nitrous-induced meltdown was too instantaneous for the knock sensors to do anything about....
-Bill

svxpassion 09-25-2005 08:50 PM

Detonation?

Could detonation really blow a piston apart like that? I mean the engine had a mean knock before she blew... I don't know. Explain detonation to me?
Paul