The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Replacing lil' green dash lite bulbs (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40909)

LarryIII 09-25-2007 10:36 AM

Replacing lil' green dash lite bulbs

SVXY has many of his little green dash light bulbs out. I have a stock of bulbs and want to replace them. The general concensus about replacing the bulbs is to pry off the push/push dash swithes to get to the bulbs. I have never done this and do not want to crack the dash or switches. Is there someone here who has done it and can point out any tricks.

Thanks in advance.

redlightningsvx 09-25-2007 10:43 AM

I have done this many times and the only thing I can tell you is to pry off slowly and very carfully!

mohrds 09-25-2007 10:59 AM

I use a butter knife with a terry cloth towel over it to give me some leverage.

Once you pry out the cluster, all the bulbs are really easy to remove/replace.

Doug

Manarius 09-25-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryIII (Post 495549)
SVXY has many of his little green dash light bulbs out. I have a stock of bulbs and want to replace them. The general concensus about replacing the bulbs is to pry off the push/push dash swithes to get to the bulbs. I have never done this and do not want to crack the dash or switches. Is there someone here who has done it and can point out any tricks.

Thanks in advance.

Pry with a knife around the "fake" bulbs at the end. The entire button clusters come out and the bulbs are easily accessible from there. Just remember to take the little green caps off the old bulbs to retain the green color for the button. I can get the bulbs from Radioshack for $1.50 a pair....

Just be careful with the parking light/heated mirrors buttons. The springs from them tend to fly everywhere when you disassemble the switches. Also, getting at the parking lamps switch backlight seems to be a bit of a challenge - if you have any tips, let me know as I need to swap that one out as well.

LarryIII 09-26-2007 04:00 AM

Thanks guys.

bugs 11-14-2007 08:09 PM

Replacing lil' green dash lite bulbs??????

Just to make sure I understand (because I need to do this too) you are taking about prying each of the button covers off right? Do they come off individually or as a set?

Eric

NiftySVX 11-14-2007 08:14 PM

No, the switch panel comes off and you unscrew the brown sockets (these are the illumination bulbs). They are the ones closest to the face of the switch panel. You will see two bulb sockets installed per switch, one is brown and serves as the illumination (has a green filter on the bulb) and the on indicator (has an orange filter) With the exception of the security switch, which has an LED in place of the on indicator. I would recommend replacing all of the illumination bulbs while you are there.

svxash 11-16-2007 12:57 PM

Where do you get these bulbs? Also any part numbers?

Speedklix 11-16-2007 01:14 PM

dealer or from radioshack for almost nothing... someone said 1.5 for a pair, but I think it is like half that here. I remember making them all new for under 10 bucks and having extras... I'll see if I can find the part number, I know I saved it.

Speedklix 11-16-2007 01:16 PM

well that was easy, it was right on the desktop :confused:...

Radio Shack's part number is 7219

svxash 11-16-2007 02:38 PM

I called Radio Shack and they don't have a bulb by that number. They said their part number would be a 6 or 7 digit number. _ _ _-_ _ _ _

Speedklix 11-22-2007 09:53 PM

sorry I missed that post.
I know I used that to buy mine. Either they've changed since or there is a slight difference in Part Numbers (like an "IB" in front of the numbers) that the radioshack guy was either too stupid to figure out (most often this is the case at Radio Shacks around here) or didn't care to look through and figure it out. Next time i'm there I'll check it out, I need one or two for one of the legacies anyway.

Good chance it is just something like ***-7219 :rolleyes:

svxash 11-24-2007 11:37 PM

Speedklix,
Is the lamp from Radio Shack the whole assembly with the base or just the bulb?

Manarius 11-25-2007 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxash (Post 511025)
Speedklix,
Is the lamp from Radio Shack the whole assembly with the base or just the bulb?

The lamp from radioshack is just the bulb itself. It's 272-1092 for the part number at Radioshack.

Speedklix 11-26-2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 511068)
The lamp from radioshack is just the bulb itself. It's 272-1092 for the part number at Radioshack.

that answers that, it has changed a bit...file updated

sorry I couldn't get it sooner myself, I still have yet to make it over there.
and you get lots of extra wire to make the wrap (unless that changed too) if that is your worry.
it is real easy to swap the bulb into the base. If you have the skill to get to and remove the base, you have the skill to swap the bulb.