The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   door lock switch (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4302)

EverclearAtMSU 05-28-2002 08:46 AM

door lock switch

I've noticed that in some of the pictures there is a switch to lock to doors mounted by the shifter. What years had this?

I'd like to have one in my car. Also, for the cars that have this, do the doors lock when you put the car in drive, or go over a certain speed, and unlock when you turn the car off?

Aredubjay 05-28-2002 09:54 AM

Re: door lock switch

Quote:

Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU
I've noticed that in some of the pictures there is a switch to lock to doors mounted by the shifter. What years had this?

I'd like to have one in my car. Also, for the cars that have this, do the doors lock when you put the car in drive, or go over a certain speed, and unlock when you turn the car off?

They began the console door lock button in 94.

The autolock was only available in Europe, I believe, and, from what I've gathered in reading through the UK club posts, drives them bonkers. More have looked at how to disable it rather than liking it (kinda like the 92 auto seatbelt :) ).

You'd probably have to get someone with the 94 supplement to the FSM's to give you a diagram of how to wire in the console lock switch.

Green1995SVX 05-28-2002 11:05 AM

Mine has it, I've used it like twice. I dont know why, but i like locking the doors manually.

-Mike

EverclearAtMSU 05-28-2002 11:28 AM

Re: Re: door lock switch

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

They began the console door lock button in 94.

The autolock was only available in Europe, I believe, and, from what I've gathered in reading through the UK club posts, drives them bonkers. More have looked at how to disable it rather than liking it (kinda like the 92 auto seatbelt :) ).

You'd probably have to get someone with the 94 supplement to the FSM's to give you a diagram of how to wire in the console lock switch.

I just liked the idea of the switch right there. instead of having to reach back and hitting the lock down. on occassion I'll lock my car while driving, pretty rare though.

And I like my auto seatbelt :-)

Green1995SVX 05-28-2002 11:40 AM

I do when i drove through bad neighborhoods. It's my svx, and I dont want the bad guys to have it.

-Mike

Beav 05-28-2002 12:07 PM

That's easy enough to cure - don't drive through bad neighborhoods, or at least only drive through the ones that just have bad gals... ;)

EverclearAtMSU 05-28-2002 12:20 PM

bah! all you guys have dirty minds

Aredubjay 05-28-2002 12:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: door lock switch

Quote:

Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

I just liked the idea of the switch right there. instead of having to reach back and hitting the lock down. on occassion I'll lock my car while driving, pretty rare though.

And I like my auto seatbelt :-)

I don't lock my doors while driving, so, I don't really need it. I also like my auto-belts, especially since they started strongly enforcing the "Click it, or Ticket" campaign in Indiana. :)

Earthworm 05-28-2002 12:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: door lock switch

Quote:

I also like my auto-belts, especially since they started strongly enforcing the "Click it, or Ticket" campaign in Indiana. :)
The point of seatbelts is not to prevent getting tickets but to prevent injury. My father still doesn't understand this. It doesn't matter if seatbelts are legal or illegal I will always wear mine because I know it has saved me on at least a couple occasions.

wawazat?? 05-28-2002 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I do when i drove through bad neighborhoods. It's my svx, and I dont want the bad guys to have it.

-Mike

S'liberty? Some other sections of Dahntahn Picksburgh? Definitely not up in Cranberry of Mars!

Todd

svxistentialist 05-28-2002 04:40 PM

JDM Vs Euro

Mine is the Japanese version, and the doors lock automatically over 15kms/hr. I actually like this, also for reasons of driving through bad neighbourhoods. I also feel it's safer for my wife, lots of snatching handbags from front passenger seats over here while the car waits at traffic lights.

However, the main pain is opening the door to let off passengers. They all try the latch, and it won't work. The red mechanical button is behind their shoulder, so there is all this awkwardness and fidgeting each time to let a passenger off.

The Japanese went ga-ga about it too, and Subaru responded with a switch to unlock the doors from '94. Even with the annoyance I still like the security of the doors locking.

Joe

Aredubjay 05-28-2002 04:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: door lock switch

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm

The point of seatbelts is not to prevent getting tickets but to prevent injury. My father still doesn't understand this. It doesn't matter if seatbelts are legal or illegal I will always wear mine because I know it has saved me on at least a couple occasions.

I agree. I was just being my usual smart aleck self. They saved me during a couple of bad accidents. One in which I had bruises on my pelvis bones afterwards. They were the "two part" belts in my 72 Gran Torino Sport. I was too lazy to put the shoulder strap on, or, I wouldn't have needed the seven stitches in my nose. Of course, the Cows I hit fared much worse.

phoenix96 05-28-2002 05:20 PM

The security system in my Outback locks the doors when the ignition is turned On and unlocks them when it is turned Off. I like the feature, as it does feel more secure driving with the doors locked and that way I don't have to remember to do it manually.

oab_au 05-28-2002 05:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: door lock switch

Quote:

I agree. I was just being my usual smart aleck self. They saved me during a couple of bad accidents. One in which I had bruises on my pelvis bones afterwards. They were the "two part" belts in my 72 Gran Torino Sport. I was too lazy to put the shoulder strap on, or, I wouldn't have needed the seven stitches in my nose. Of course, the Cows I hit fared much worse.

:eek: Now I know, the reasion for the cow catcher on the Pearly:D :D
Harvey.

Aredubjay 05-28-2002 05:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: door lock switch

Quote:

Originally posted by oab_au

:eek: Now I know, the reasion for the cow catcher on the Pearly:D :D
Harvey.

EXACTAMUNDO!! :D