The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thinking of window tint? Think twice.. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48344)

Freeman 12-30-2008 10:10 AM

Thinking of window tint? Think twice..

No, it's not some global ban on tint cause I think it's ugly or a group of popular people say it's not cool. If you want to tint your windows, you go ahead and do what you KNOW looks nice on your car!
Just make sure it's legal...

Click here for your states tinting laws! (US Only)

YT just made me more aware that I should be careful regarding tint. Thought I'd pass this along..

Zandar 12-30-2008 10:31 AM

Re: Thinking of window tint? Think twice..

Great find and info; thanks! Since I can tint the front windows, tint may be an option for me. I was too used to the stupid CA laws to consider it.

evilsvx 12-30-2008 10:48 AM

my civic has all windows tint, except the back and never had any problem, i live in pa. the darkest here is 35% so my windows have 35% tint. its accordin where u live. it also protect the interior of the car. if you are planning to tint like freakin 5% or around there then u are askin for a ticket.

dcarrb 12-30-2008 10:53 AM

I've heard anecdotal accounts of the Georgia State Patrol actually slashing too-dark or reflective window tinting during traffic stops, but I find that hard to believe as I see so many vehicles around here with virtually opaque glass. I'd think it mighty unnerving to be a cop walking up on a vehicle, unable to see what's going on inside.

dcb

TomsSVX 12-30-2008 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 579769)
I've heard anecdotal accounts of the Georgia State Patrol actually slashing too-dark or reflective window tinting during traffic stops, but I find that hard to believe as I see so many vehicles around here with virtually opaque glass. I'd think it mighty unnerving to be a cop walking up on a vehicle, unable to see what's going on inside.

dcb

Ding!!

Imagine having to do that in Camden or Newark!!:eek::eek:

Tom

Zandar 12-30-2008 11:07 AM

Actually, I had a cop tell me it was for safe driver visibility (that was waaaay back in driver's ed), not for police safety.

But yeah, I can't imagine being a cop in Los Angeles and walking up to a limo tinted front window. Of course, an LA cop might just shoot the window out :lol:

Gr8Dane 12-30-2008 11:21 AM

i talked to a few cops before I got mine tinted. I was living in Idaho when I got them done but I knew I'd be moving to CA. Thus, I needed to make sure I fit the law. I got tint done around the entire car just as dark as I wanted it. But in CA you can't have the front windows tinted, so I somewhat skirted the law by tinting the upper portion of the glass, but left the roll-down portion of the front glass only mildly tinted to the point you couldn't even tell it was. Cops haven't hassled me once with it. It's the perfect compromise.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ane/SVX016.jpg

Freeman 12-30-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gr8Dane (Post 579777)
i talked to a few cops before I got mine tinted. I was living in Idaho when I got them done but I knew I'd be moving to CA. Thus, I needed to make sure I fit the law. I got tint done around the entire car just as dark as I wanted it. But in CA you can't have the front windows tinted, so I somewhat skirted the law by tinting the upper portion of the glass, but left the roll-down portion of the front glass only mildly tinted to the point you couldn't even tell it was. Cops haven't hassled me once with it. It's the perfect compromise.

I was about to ask if anyone had done this yet! Thanks for posting the pic.

Now thanks for my uncanny ability to mix words and misinterpret everything I read, the way I read what you did was tint your driver windows with half tint and half not. As I think about it, it's not too bad an idea. That way, when you see a police officer, just roll your windows down half way.. Anybody done this?

1986nate 12-30-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gr8Dane (Post 579777)

I had thought about doing this as well, However I was thinking of leaving the lower rear window lighter as well.

subeman90 12-30-2008 01:24 PM

you know what I hate about tint...people can't see you flip them off when they do stupid stuff. :lol:

subeman90 12-30-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 579770)
Ding!!

Imagine having to do that in Camden or Newark!!:eek::eek:

Tom

tint or not those places make me cringe on a sunny day :eek:

Freeman 12-30-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subeman90 (Post 579817)
tint or not those places make me cringe on a sunny day :eek:

Shame I don't know where that is.. No wonder I'm anxious to be a cop. I don't know any better.. lol

svxistentialist 12-30-2008 01:47 PM

Thanks for the link Freeman. Very interesting.

In the case of very dark tints I have a strong dislike of them. Part of this dislike is the fact that enclosing the occupants from view is supremely low rent, ghetto mentality as I see it. About as attractive as 22" chrome spinners, says more about you than you really ought to be saying. :p

On the safety side if the tint is dark enough the driver will have a poor view of the surroundings at night or on dark days. This can't be a good thing. The cops are correct to be pulling for this.

If a car pulling out at a junction has so dark a tint that I can't see the driver's face, at no time will I let that car out as a courtesy. If my traffic lane stops I will even roll up and stop in front of that car. If they are stupid enough to drive a vehicle where on-coming traffic can't determine if the driver is looking in their direction, they deserve to be left just where they are.

:)

Freeman 12-30-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 579823)
Thanks for the link Freeman. Very interesting.

In the case of very dark tints I have a strong dislike of them. Part of this dislike is the fact that enclosing the occupants from view is supremely low rent, ghetto mentality as I see it. About as attractive as 22" chrome spinners, says more about you than you really ought to be saying. :p

On the safety side if the tint is dark enough the driver will have a poor view of the surroundings at night or on dark days. This can't be a good thing. The cops are correct to be pulling for this.

If a car pulling out at a junction has so dark a tint that I can't see the driver's face, at no time will I let that car out as a courtesy. If my traffic lane stops I will even roll up and stop in front of that car. If they are stupid enough to drive a vehicle where on-coming traffic can't determine if the driver is looking in their direction, they deserve to be left just where they are.

I like that last bit. You're starting to make me re-think my want for tinted windows. Of course it would be at the legal limit of 35% to 30% but I still want to think on this before I act and get tint.

It not only is against the law to get dark tint, but effects the way other drivers react twords your vehicle and you.. Good to know.

svxistentialist 12-30-2008 02:28 PM

The Japanese have a strange approach to tinting. They only allow very light tints on the front windows, the ones the driver uses to see around, and that make sense.

At the same time they seem to like very dark tints on the back windows. My everyday car has this, click on my Vantastic link.

I didn't think I'd like it when I bought it, but I have come around. :rolleyes: It keeps the rear cool, and "hides" luggage or equipment from easy view. Also as the rear screen glass is tinted, it cuts down a lot of glare at night from cars behind. Yes, I like it a lot.

It's not film, though, it is actually darkened glass. The Japanese call it "privacy" glass I think.

Joe :)