The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A/C belt removal (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38194)

blue thunder 03-31-2007 07:52 PM

A/C belt removal

I just ascertained that my a/c belt was causing a smoking and high pitched noise. One, how do you remove this belt and put another one on. My air doesn't work hardly at all which is another issue so I hardly turn it on. Can I just cut this belt off and eliminate noise and burning rubber. Sorry I am so undereducated on this. This is a first in seven plus years with this car. Any knowledge will gladly be soaked in. Thanks.

Mike:)

Budfreak 03-31-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue thunder
I just ascertained that my a/c belt was causing a smoking and high pitched noise. One, how do you remove this belt and put another one on. My air doesn't work hardly at all which is another issue so I hardly turn it on. Can I just cut this belt off and eliminate noise and burning rubber. Sorry I am so undereducated on this. This is a first in seven plus years with this car. Any knowledge will gladly be soaked in. Thanks.

Yes, you can just cut the belt off and all will be fine, But I'd recommend finding out what is wrong(Compressor or idler pulley) and actually fixing it. To remove and install another you simply loosen the 2 bolts you see at the A/C tensioner right under the A/C compressor and then grab the belt and pull and the tensioner will let the belt loose. simply install the new belt, Tighten the bolts almost all the way on the tensioner(leave them just loose enough to where it will move with a sharp blow but not move under the tension of the belt), and then use a screwdriver and hammer to move the tensioner to tighten the belt then finish tightening the tensioner bolts.

blue thunder 03-31-2007 09:43 PM

Thanks Bud for the quick reply. I went right out and cut the belt off and put the alternator belt back on and drove it off with no problem. This problem started when I started hearing a grinding noise on and off. Then Fri. night it became a high pitched whistling sound and then the belt started to smoke. Idler pulley is turning OK with no binding so I guess its the compressor. Do you think failed bearings or are they're other possibilities? Take care and thanks for the help.

Budfreak 03-31-2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks Bud for the quick reply. I went right out and cut the belt off and put the alternator belt back on and drove it off with no problem. This problem started when I started hearing a grinding noise on and off. Then Fri. night it became a high pitched whistling sound and then the belt started to smoke. Idler pulley is turning OK with no binding so I guess its the compressor. Do you think failed bearings or are they're other possibilities? Take care and thanks for the help.

Anytime.;) Have you had your A/C charged lately or messed with?? If nothing else then it probably is just the compressor going bad. Let me know if you need one.:)

Jason

blue thunder 03-31-2007 10:03 PM

Actually around three weeks ago I had my ac system checked at a dealer. They did have to add a little freon but otherwise all they're checks(when the car was idling in the shop) showed no problems. However out on the road the air will only get cold occasionally. Not good enough to stop the sweating. He wants me to leave the car with him for the day at 100 an hour and I never rescheduled a follow up. I will have my compressor checked out and get back to you if I need one. Thanks.

Budfreak 03-31-2007 10:08 PM

Quote:

Actually around three weeks ago I had my ac system checked at a dealer. They did have to add a little freon but otherwise all they're checks(when the car was idling in the shop) showed no problems. However out on the road the air will only get cold occasionally. Not good enough to stop the sweating. He wants me to leave the car with him for the day at 100 an hour and I never rescheduled a follow up. I will have my compressor checked out and get back to you if I need one. Thanks.

HAHAHA! That explains it all. They probably overcharged the system and it's killing your compressor and causing it to lock up. Take it somewhere else and have them check the pressure.;)

SA SVX 03-31-2007 10:42 PM

You need to remove the main belt before you can install the AC belt. Now that you have the belt cut off check to see if the tensioner pully and pump spin freely. The loss in A/C may be due to the condenser fins being clogged. I'm in the middle of redoing my AC and took the condenser box out today, the fins were all clogged with lent/crap and even had twigs and small leaves in the box.

Hop 03-31-2007 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA SVX
The loss in A/C may be due to the condenser fins being clogged. I'm in the middle of redoing my AC and took the condenser box out today, the fins were all clogged with lent/crap and even had twigs and small leaves in the box.

Do you have a pic of this?

Greg

ensteele 04-01-2007 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budfreak
Have you had your A/C charged lately or messed with?? If nothing else then it probably is just the compressor going bad. Let me know if you need one.:)

Jason

It could still be the bearings in the clutch of the compressor. I have had a couple of them go bad. It is a bad screeching noise. The noise occurs even if the compressor is not engaged, and it is because the bearing are going out. If you could just replace the electric clutch and bearings, the compressor could be good. It is easier to just replace the whole thing. Good luck. :)

blue thunder 04-01-2007 08:03 PM

After a second look today the pulley on the top(compressor) spins free with no hang-ups and the bottom pulley(idler?) doesn't move. Does this mean the compressor is ok and the idler pulley has maybe a bearing issue? I don't know if the idler pulley should spin freely or not. Please let me know if this means anything definitive or not.

Budfreak 04-01-2007 08:08 PM

Quote:

After a second look today the pulley on the top(compressor) spins free with no hang-ups and the bottom pulley(idler?) doesn't move. Does this mean the compressor is ok and the idler pulley has maybe a bearing issue? I don't know if the idler pulley should spin freely or not. Please let me know if this means anything definitive or not.

It should spin freely. You just found your problem.;)

blue thunder 04-01-2007 08:15 PM

Thanks. I don't know the inner workings of this. Can I just order a bearing or should I take it apart and analyse it then. I'll check what a new one costs if I can locate it. Thanks again.

Earthworm 06-06-2007 09:55 PM

A bearing can be pressed in. A search will find a manufacturer and part number.