The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   auto dim mirror (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48897)

oldss72 01-27-2009 10:38 AM

auto dim mirror

Hello,
I was considering buying an auto dimming mirror with built in homelink and putting it in my svx, and was wondering if anyone had any experiance with this? I imagine the ball and socket size is pretty standard, and that I could put the mirror on with relative ease. Wiring up power to that would not be that hard as well. Could be a very nice mod if I can get it to work. Does anyone know which subaru's would have this type of mirror? I have seen them on newer outbacks, and legacys, but is this a standard feature? Does anyone happen to know the ball diameter, or should I just take mine apart?
Thanks in advance,
Joe

Freeman 01-27-2009 10:48 AM

Re: auto dim mirror

My grandmother has one in her 2003 outback.. or maybe 2004.. Anyway, it's not all that helpful and I really didn't like the looks of it at all. You could always get tint but I supposed if your not into tint then the mirrior is the way to go

kwren 01-27-2009 12:11 PM

Easy to do.
Subaru has a kit for the forester to replace the cheap one that is not auto dim for one that comes on new cars..
That is what I did and it will glue on the windshield. Can be done to look like a factory job!

I really enjoy having mine dim. The compass is nice to have as well. It actually all works great.

Keith:)

Freeman 01-27-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 584382)
Easy to do.
Subaru has a kit for the forester to replace the cheap one that is not auto dim for one that comes on new cars..
That is what I did and it will glue on the windshield. Can be done to look like a factory job!

I really enjoy having mine dim. The compass is nice to have as well. It actually all works great.

Lucky.. My grandmother went back twice and hers just wouldn't work correctly..

sperry 01-27-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 584382)
Easy to do.

I did the same thing, except the mirror was too wide to fit between the visors! I used it anyway and just angled it so the driver's visor worked but the passenger one didn't. That lasted until my windshield cracked and when I got the replacement glass, I didn't bother to reinstall the mirror and just put the stock one back.

I'd really like a narrower 9" wide homelink mirror that will attach to the stock off-glass mount. Anyone know where to get one? I know Donnelley makes a 9" mirror, but good luck finding anyone that sells it!

1986nate 01-27-2009 03:17 PM

I had one in my Grand Prix and it worked and helped a lot. I would like to do this to mine at some point as well but would like to utilize the way the factory rear view mirror is, that is not gluing one to the windshield.

kwren 01-27-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 584413)
I did the same thing, except the mirror was too wide to fit between the visors! I used it anyway and just angled it so the driver's visor worked but the passenger one didn't. That lasted until my windshield cracked and when I got the replacement glass, I didn't bother to reinstall the mirror and just put the stock one back.

I'd really like a narrower 9" wide homelink mirror that will attach to the stock off-glass mount. Anyone know where to get one? I know Donnelley makes a 9" mirror, but good luck finding anyone that sells it!

place it just a tad lower, it goes farther away, and it works like a champ:)

Keith

sperry 01-27-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 584489)
place it just a tad lower, it goes farther away, and it works like a champ:)

Keith

As it was, it was already so low it blocked my view of cars to the right at a 4-way stop! (I'm 6'4"... I basically never need the sun visor in my SVX, and I have to bend down to see when the light turns green if I'm 1st in line at the light.)

oldss72 01-27-2009 09:51 PM

I am gonna go to the junkyard, and get a mirror, and try to put it on the stock mount, I will update this with results when I can

kwren 01-27-2009 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 584510)
As it was, it was already so low it blocked my view of cars to the right at a 4-way stop! (I'm 6'4"... I basically never need the sun visor in my SVX, and I have to bend down to see when the light turns green if I'm 1st in line at the light.)

Good! Then the sun visors are irreverent since you never need to turn them down!
Glue that nice dimming mirror high!!!:lol:

I just reread your post and can't come up with any idea on how your mirror in the center of your windshield could possibly block your view to the right at a 4 way stop. Where on earth is your head?

Could maybe we get a picture of that???

Thanks,
Keith