The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Paint Matching (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44109)

SVX92-97 04-04-2008 11:55 AM

Paint Matching

I have a Brand New unpainted OEM left fender that I need painted for my 96 Polo. So I call the guy I know at the body shop, tell him the paint code is #517 for Polo Green. He says it doesnt work that way, that there could be several different variations of that green from different paint distributors. He tells me he needs a piece of my car:eek::rolleyes::confused: to send to paint distributor so they can properly match the color. Ive never heard of this. He wants me to take my gas door off. I said no way, thats retarded. Whats the purpose of having a paint code number, if I still have to give up a piece of my car to get the right paint match. Can someone clarify this for me, and is this Stooge telling me the truth or what?

crazyhorse 04-04-2008 12:00 PM

Any good autobody supply house will have a scanner that will electronically color-match your car's actual color. From there you can have paint made into a spray can, or a quart to have your fender resprayed.

Now you still have to take the car to the store for the scan, but it will be a perfect match.

SVX92-97 04-04-2008 12:12 PM

Thanks

Thanks for clarifying that for me Crazyhorse! Shouldnt all reputable body shops have a paint scanner. This guy has been in Autobody industry for 20 years, you think hed know about this, or maybe hes not interested in painting my fender.

SVXyGirl 04-04-2008 12:14 PM

The best way to explain...

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 538488)
Euro Sport, one of the premier bodyshops in the Baltimore area, uses this system, a sort of spectrum analyzer, which gave the EXACT color of what was needed, whether the paint was brand new or 5 years old. It is also used for matching custom- blended paint jobs

Don, the owner of Euro Sport, said something like this to me (substituting SVX for Acura)

"Let's say I took a green SVX off of the assembly line at 9am, and an identical one off the assembly line at noon. I park them next to each other and they look identical in every way... Now let's say I swap doors between the two cars. There will be a difference, however slight, and it will show up."

That's why he used this technology as it was a lot less hassle and no returns. He said to me, "I don't care what color the factory says your car is... I care about what color YOUR car is"

mysvxrocks 04-04-2008 02:43 PM

If you need anymore help, you could ask nextse7en, he got my fender matched for me. And it looks PERFECT :)

It's Just Eric 04-04-2008 04:23 PM

strange..I guess they dont mix their paint in house. If its local enough, drop by, have them do some color research, and then leave them the fender to paint. Or, find a better body shop:lol:

svxistentialist 04-04-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX92-97 (Post 539078)
I have a Brand New unpainted OEM left fender that I need painted for my 96 Polo. So I call the guy I know at the body shop, tell him the paint code is #517 for Polo Green. He says it doesnt work that way, that there could be several different variations of that green from different paint distributors. He tells me he needs a piece of my car:eek::rolleyes::confused: to send to paint distributor so they can properly match the color. Ive never heard of this. He wants me to take my gas door off. I said no way, thats retarded. Whats the purpose of having a paint code number, if I still have to give up a piece of my car to get the right paint match. Can someone clarify this for me, and is this Stooge telling me the truth or what?

Whats the purpose of having a paint code number, if I still have to give up a piece of my car to get the right paint match?

It's called perfectionism.

I think the guy you are talking to is being square and fair with you. It is easy peasy to take off the fuel flap. He sends the flap and the code to the paint distributor/mixer. They spectrum analyse the fuel door. They know from the code what the mix is supposed to be.

If the spectrum analyser says the correct color for you is a little different, they adjust the mix.

End result? A perfect match.

I would be pleased if a paint shop asked me that question.

Joe

subi-crosser 04-04-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX92-97 (Post 539078)

The BEST match is PPG. It is also one of the most EXPEN$IVE paints for general refinishers.

subi-crosser 04-04-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX92-97 (Post 539085)
Thanks for clarifying that for me Crazyhorse! Shouldnt all reputable body shops have a paint scanner. This guy has been in Autobody industry for 20 years, you think hed know about this, or maybe hes not interested in painting my fender.

Yea, They have them, so WE don't have to BUY one! It is still up to the guy that MIXES the formula to GET IT RIGHT!
When they scanned the ol' work truck, it matched perfectly. When it was something that really MATTERED, it SUCKED and we had to buy PPG to get it right.

( It helps to BUFF the part that is being scanned so the crud doesn't get scanned too!)

storm66 03-29-2009 03:00 PM

Re: Paint Matching

What type of paint is on our cars? Lacquer, acrylic enamel, imron, deltron ???

boipeba 03-29-2009 03:41 PM

I had a complete body restoration done, and Steve told me the same thing. He took a large paint chip from the old, and sent it to PPG. The match was correct. Although the lady that had it before me changed the color through her own choice or through a mistake by the privious body shop, (she got into a fender bender and had the entire car painted) it's a great match. My question is; my engine compartment is a diffrent color from the rest of the car. There must be a primer color that they paint, (say 500 cars), then the outer color using the same color respectively.
I'll accept the results, although the orginal color should have been Bordeaux pearl.

boi

redlightningsvx 03-29-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser (Post 539202)
The BEST match is PPG. It is also one of the most EXPEN$IVE paints for general refinishers.

Agreed. This is what I mix at work. Some colors will have different color variants for example paint code TS for Ford has Prime, Angle lighter, bluer face/darker angle, these are all the same silver color but if you have the chips side by side you can see a big difference. I've also sent out some gas doors to PPG for the colors that suck like Ice blue ans they are a dead on match.

alltrac 03-29-2009 05:25 PM

If I'm not mistaken the fuel door is plastic and could be a problem if your trying to match for a metal surface. The paint code is just a starting point for the painter. Color matching equipment is great but it comes down to spraying a test panel and the painters eye and years of experience to adjust the color.

redlightningsvx 03-29-2009 06:21 PM

The fuel doors metal.

svxistentialist 03-30-2009 01:13 AM

Seth is right, the fuel lid is metal. That is also a good reason to give it to the paint mixer guys, properly buffed as Gerry says. It's easy to remove and you've a better chance of getting the match perfect.

Boi, the undercoat sprayed in the trunk and engine areas is always different than the finished coat. It's generally done with a primer that has the middle color coat in it, but has a satin or dull finish to it. Car painters are aware of this, and a good one will just mix up the correct primer for you if you need these areas covered.

I have seen people do up complete car restorations from the metal. Because the shell is completely stripped they give the whole car the final color, just because they can, and they want to do a good job. When refitted and rebuilt the car looks false and overdone because the engine area in particular looks "too clean". If you want it to look like ex factory, best to stick to how it was originally sprayed.

Joe :)