The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   good and bad news (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27539)

KCROGUEDOG 07-25-2005 10:53 PM

good and bad news

venting is what im going to do. im angry. well good news today i received my gc to match the konis and bushings. im cyced and ready for the install this week. bad news a bastard azz ford passed me going towards me and i was going away from him. i was traveling slowly at 30mph in a 45 zone he was going 60 at lease head on towards me. and i see a huge rock slam into my non chipped perfect condition window to crack the hell out of it. when i bought the car the window was replaced and i babied it since. this sucks. the crack will get bigger over time i can tell by looking at it. this just had to happen 2 weeks before i leave this shiiiittty state. i will let it get worse before insurance deals with it but this sucks. :mad:

KCROGUEDOG 07-25-2005 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the gooooooooddddd

KCROGUEDOG 07-25-2005 11:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the baddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

ensteele 07-25-2005 11:36 PM

Where is the ugly? :D :D Oh, that was the driver that threw the rock onto the windshield! :rolleyes: :(

The struts sure look good. :)

KCROGUEDOG 07-26-2005 12:02 AM

u know i thought the same thing. how it got flung up like that as he passed is a mistery.

Khalil 07-26-2005 12:11 AM

You should try getting that fixed at a glass place.... Make sure it dont spread. (Im sure u allready know).

*Go Alaska!*

KCROGUEDOG 07-26-2005 02:34 AM

i heard of that. how much round abouts. and do you have to feel it to repair it.

MNYPNNY 07-26-2005 04:35 PM

A word of caution.....most glass places can patch a crack like that, but the patch doesn't last forever. When I bought my car in '99 there was a 5" crack from the bottom of the windshield up on the driver side. The guy who fixes all my glass checked it out and said that it had been filled and stopped at the top. Fast forward to June '04, during our trip to the Reno meet, went through a gas station car wash. As soon as the cold water hit the hot windshield, the crack immediately shot all the way across the windshield. That patch lasted at least 5 years, but it didn't last forever!

KCROGUEDOG 07-26-2005 05:08 PM

michelle how much did you pay and was it see able. or could u still see it and it just stopped it from getting bigger.

Mr. Bill 07-26-2005 06:37 PM

Most insurance will cover the repair at no charge (meaning you won't pay a deductible). I have had two done on my outback and the previous owner had the SVX repaired - Knock on wood, they are still holding (at least until after I post this).

Conn SVX 07-26-2005 07:42 PM

A guy around here was fixing bulls eyes for $50.00 each U can't see it stop it from spreading and the insurance company is gl;ad to pay it. this guy put a ultrovioledt light on it for a while after he repaired it. ??????

UberRoo 07-26-2005 09:01 PM

Different glass shops have different tools and processes. Some will be frank about their abilities, while others will lie. To the best of my knowledge, most cracks that are only a few inches long and not located too close to the edge of the windshield can be stopped almost permanently. Not all repair processes are that good. Some are. And again, some shops can't work that sort of magic and will admit it, while other shops will put a drop of Krazy Glue on it and tell you it'll stop bullets. I would say that your crack is a good candidate for repair. Competent shops can not only stop the crack, but make it virtually invisible too. Cracks near the edges are much more difficult to stop. Also, rapid temperature changes, (or more accurately, extreme temperature differentials,) are very stressful, and can potentially crack perfectly good glass. Just be careful.

KCROGUEDOG 07-27-2005 12:46 AM

they wanted forty dollars and it would still be seeable. but it would stop the spread and save the windsheild so they say.

MNYPNNY 07-27-2005 10:47 AM

KC,
My crack was visible, but usually only when the light hit it at the right angle. I didn't pay to have it fixed, it had been done before I bought the car. Of course, later, I had to buy a new windshield, but it only cost my deductible.

KCROGUEDOG 07-27-2005 01:53 PM

cool im still debating it is going to get replaced any ways now with my other windows with scratches next spring before i paint. but should i pay the forty now or just let it crack. if it does. more. hmmmm...... only one winter to wait. help me flip a coin. :D