The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   stereo wiring, confused. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6277)

htyei 10-04-2002 02:43 PM

stereo wiring, confused.

I'm looking at the SVX Sound Installion wire diagrams am in wonder which power conenct is which?

The SVX diagram shows two power connectors:

Primary power &
Memory power

My head unit has a

primary power &
acc power

At first I assumed primary goes with primary, but memory power has connotations that acc power does not.

My head unit also has one wire to cd illumination, Does that mean it doesn't need to be grounded?(like the stock unit)

Earthworm 10-04-2002 11:26 PM

I think you're confusing yourself a bit.

You should need 2 power wires. One that has power all the time (for the memory) and one that has power only when the ignition is on (main stereo power).

Use a trouble light to determine which is which if you're unsure.

htyei 10-05-2002 12:28 AM

Got it.

How did you guys deal with the light illumination and dimmer feature?

Where did you connect that?

Earthworm 10-05-2002 12:54 AM

I didn't install my head unit and the people who did didn't hook up the dimmer feature :(

Seraph 10-05-2002 02:18 AM

Dimmer stuff: I don't know
Acc power is your red
memory power is your yellow (or constant power)

For those of you that want the constant on cig lighter, re-route your wires from there to the cig ligher's center hole.

Lwin

Seraph 10-05-2002 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by htyei
Got it.

How did you guys deal with the light illumination and dimmer feature?

Where did you connect that?

Henry,

There should be a wire for that dimmer stuff. Just hook it up to the power comming in from the ashtray light. That's the 12v going to that from the cig lighter outlet as well.

Lwin

Landshark 10-05-2002 04:54 AM

the P.O. removed my cigarette lighter light!!! i think he had a radar detector in there. i just ran a wire over to the fuse box on the driver's side and tapped in to the ILLUM fuse.

htyei 10-05-2002 01:36 PM

So I have a black red wire, a redwire, and a black white wire
that are unknown.

As far as I can figure out black red and red go to the cd illumination connector(from radio to cdplayer)

But the black/white isnt even in the service manuals.

I'm very curious.

Still looking for that dimmer wire as well...
any idea of the color?

htyei 10-06-2002 01:59 PM

I've given up the dimmer at the moment, and still cant figure out what the black/white wire does, and was about to finish the job when I noticed an oddity.

The system works fine until I turn on the lights, then it looks like the head unit goes into a power cycling spasm?!

Note that I am holding the entire unit+door thing, and haven't put it into the dash yet.

Also, I'm a little annoyed that my entire driverside speakers sound a lot more bassier than my left side. This was a problem with my stock player, and I thought a new head unit would fix it.

So old head unit was perfectly fine and the problem(if any) was somewhere else.

Where is the crossover in the stock unit and what other problem could it be?