The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The other SVX/Bear encounters (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34531)

Earthworm 08-02-2006 04:53 PM

The other SVX/Bear encounters

1 Attachment(s)
Went camping this past weekend with 3 other people. 3 of us went fishing while one guy stayed behind reading and listening to music.

While we were gone we heard a horn (canned horn they used for scaring the bears away). We also heard someone yell, "Number 8!" That was our campsite.

When we returned the remaining member told us that he lifted his head from his book to see a bear of at least 400lbs checking out our tent (mine and gf's) no more than 20 feet from where he was sitting. He hit the panic button on his remote to set off his car alarm which was enough to scare it into the bushes while he made his way to his car.

The next day the gf and I were in our tent resting and we heard a car horn. We quickly got out of the tent and sure enough another bear (smaller - maybe 200lbs) was going through the trees behind our tent. We again hide behind our cars and watch to see what it does. It wanted to check out our cooler but was reluctant because we were all there watching and making noise.

I took a few pictures of the little bear (we called it "Boo Boo") but only 1 really turned out. I attached this picture with the hiding bear hilighted.

It was an interesting weekend which included 3 hot/dry days, 1 torrential downpour (slept in the SVX) with non-stop lightning/thunder and 2 bears.

immortal_suby 08-02-2006 07:14 PM

reminds me of an old saying.....

always try not to die.

glad to see you didn't become bear food.

1320boy 08-02-2006 08:22 PM

Aaaaawwwww:p
The bear looks sooooooooooooooo cute:p :) :D :rolleyes: :cool:

To bad i hate bears:(

Sr240sx 08-02-2006 10:21 PM

sleeping in svx's is comfy...

sexual endeavors however, aren't the easiest

momzsvx 08-02-2006 10:21 PM

Kind of looks cuddly....Yikes!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

SSSVX 08-02-2006 10:25 PM

Sounds like a fun weekend. Glad you're still here. :D

Is that legal to do camping at that place? So you're at your own risk huh?

Earthworm 08-03-2006 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sr240sx
sleeping in svx's is comfy...

sexual endeavors however, aren't the easiest

Sleeping in the back seat isn't comfy at all. :(

Earthworm 08-03-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSVX
Is that legal to do camping at that place? So you're at your own risk huh?

Is what legal?

lhopp77 08-03-2006 01:39 PM

Momma Bear

A momma bear and her cub have been going up and down the creek behind the house here during the last month. It is about 150 yards from the house, but still on my land. I have seen her twice and heard her other times, but have not been able to get a picture. First time I saw them, the cub was a tiny thing, not over a foot tall and was having a hard time keeping up with momma.

The dogs bark sometimes and I think that keeps her from coming up this way. I sort of like it like that as they can do a lot of damage looking for food.

Lee

SSSVX 08-03-2006 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Is what legal?

Dave, I meant is that legal to do camping at that place you went to?

Earthworm 08-03-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSVX
Dave, I meant is that legal to do camping at that place you went to?

Yes, it's a campground :D

shelfy 08-03-2006 02:42 PM

by the looks of your picnic table, i'm not surprised the bears were attracted. :rolleyes:

Earthworm 08-03-2006 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelfy
by the looks of your picnic table, i'm not surprised the bears were attracted. :rolleyes:

We had buffalo burgers & sausage, hotdogs and various other foods we had that evening. :D

shelfy 08-03-2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
We had buffalo burgers & sausage, hotdogs and various other foods we had that evening. :D

sounds yummy, but do i need to teach you how to camp in bear country?

Earthworm 08-03-2006 03:08 PM

We just finished eating and didn't even get a chance to put all the food back in the cars.

They actually hand out pamphlets on how to not attract bears to your site.