The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Frnt license plate holder? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38742)

Subie59 04-30-2007 10:59 AM

Frnt license plate holder?

Since I got my 94 a month ago I have not been able to mount my front license plate because the screw holes are too far apart. Is there a special bracket needed to mount Cdn. plates. These holes are spaced so far apart it almost looks like it is made for a European license?
Thanks
Vic

SVX_MY_BABY 04-30-2007 11:51 AM

There are two sets of screws. The short ones go on the top. (so you don't puncture the bumper.) The longer ones go on the bottom.

Mr. Pockets 04-30-2007 11:52 AM

Whether or not the holes fit a European (or, more likey, Japanese) license plate I can't say. But, in order to fit an American license plate, you need the bracket that fits those holes. Canadian plates are the same size as American plates, right?

Or you drill new holes in the bumper. :(

Subie59 04-30-2007 12:14 PM

okay where do you get that bracket. Are they available?
Thanks
Vic

budbaer 04-30-2007 12:24 PM

Don"t Drill Holes In Your Bumper!!!!!

There is no need to drill holes in your bumper. Although the factory license plate holder is hard to come by, there is an alternitive. Autozone and Advance Auto have a universal front plate mount that you can purchase for about $5 US, I am sure it is also available in Canada. check out your local auto parts store and tell them what you need. or click http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...egoryCode=3146 and order it online from Advance Auto.

Dza 04-30-2007 12:37 PM

The previous owner of my 93 drilled holes in the bumper to mount his front plate, even though there was a plastic front plate holder that came with the vehicle… Thank you for asking for help before drilling holes in your car like that guy did.

Subie59 04-30-2007 01:02 PM

Thanks Budbaer I'll look for something in Canada. There's got to be something here similiar, if not I'll order from the States...
Thanks again

Ira Davis 04-30-2007 04:17 PM

I just PMd you.

I have the entire bracket and hardware.

Ira

ensteele 04-30-2007 08:38 PM

Good. I was going to suggest posting in the parts wanted section for one. :) :)

nexus_7 04-30-2007 09:12 PM

When I get pulled over and they give me a hard time about not having my front plates on, I jsut tell them they dont make brackets for it any more and thye dont give me a ticket for it. :)

Greg

ensteele 04-30-2007 09:40 PM

I have only had that happen once. I will try that next time. :D

shelfy 05-01-2007 12:29 AM

why would one not want to show off their front plate?

lhopp77 05-01-2007 08:08 AM

Because

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelfy

Maybe because we don't have front plates here. :p

I would have a spare OEM front plate mount if I could get it off my NORTHERN 96. The usual northern rusty bolt issue. :mad:

Lee

PDSides 05-01-2007 09:14 AM

Carry the front plate with you in the trunk. If you are stopped, bring out the plate and let the officer try to fit it. Maybe you won't have to put it on at all and that's good, because a big, flat, multi-colored piece of metal on the front tip of the car ruins its looks. Best wishes.
Preston

Ira Davis 05-01-2007 03:17 PM

Quote:

My reasoning is they ruin the body lines of almost all vehicles... except boxy SUVs... then they are a great accessory.:D

The SVX (in my opinion) looks much better without a front plate.

I have been driving in and around Denver without a front plate for at least seven years. I have never received a ticket for that.

If you park your car without a front plate in downtown Denver (particularly 13th and Logan) for very long on the street, you will eventually get ticketed. This happened to my brother. Rather than actually fighting crime and all, Denver police like to generate revenue writing pointless tickets.

Ira