The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   overdrive problem ??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47148)

ssnsltd 12-03-2008 05:15 PM

overdrive problem ???

Didn't find this on a search, so :

My 96' when it shifts into OD pretty much starts to feel like the car is coming unglued. just starts shaking like crazy. as soon as I downshift to 3d, it all goes away.
-I did get an error code for #5 coil but I can't for the life of me figure out how that would make the car go nuts only in OD.

-trans acts fine otherwise.
-Fluid was replaced 3 years ago along with timing belt, and i do a pan change each time I change the oil.
-no burnt smell to trans fluid
-car has only been driven 200 miles in the last two years, pretty much in (covered) storage while I was in Afghanistan and since I got home.

thoughts ?

oab_au 12-03-2008 05:42 PM

Re: overdrive problem ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssnsltd (Post 574762)
Didn't find this on a search, so :

My 96' when it shifts into OD pretty much starts to feel like the car is coming unglued. just starts shaking like crazy. as soon as I downshift to 3d, it all goes away.
-I did get an error code for #5 coil but I can't for the life of me figure out how that would make the car go nuts only in OD.

-trans acts fine otherwise.
-Fluid was replaced 3 years ago along with timing belt, and i do a pan change each time I change the oil.
-no burnt smell to trans fluid
-car has only been driven 200 miles in the last two years, pretty much in (covered) storage while I was in Afghanistan and since I got home.

thoughts ?

I tend to think it is the coil braking down under load, which is increased in 4th gear. Pull the coil and have a good look at the rubber boot, for any tracks (look like a black pencil line) down the boot, inside and outside the boot.

If you find any, scratch them out, and spray it with a silicon oil. If you don't find any, buy a new coil.:)

Harvey.

ssnsltd 12-03-2008 06:36 PM

Thanks Harvey- never would have figured a coil could cause the car to shake like that.

I got a complete set of extra coils just in case. once I get back to NY I will put one in and see how we fly.

thanks again!

Wikedjuggalo 12-03-2008 08:55 PM

=D if your around here in NC it will take me 2 mins to pop that S.O.B out =D I just replaced mine... or was it #6... I don't recall lol Driver side nearest firewall.

ssnsltd 12-04-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 574808)
=D if your around here in NC it will take me 2 mins to pop that S.O.B out =D I just replaced mine... or was it #6... I don't recall lol Driver side nearest firewall.

Thanks for the offer! I am in NC right now- but this car (96) is in NY- so I will B feezin' my fingers off instead of being in a nice warm Auto Craft shop :rolleyes:
probably head up in a few days. Also need to change out the rear bearing or HUB complete on my 95 :( I think I found a complete hub though. I HATE changing out those bearings.

Wikedjuggalo 12-04-2008 01:25 PM

ahh well if ya ever need an extra hand here in NC let me know !

ssnsltd 12-16-2008 01:50 PM

OK, so I replaced what I thought was coil #5, driver side, the one closest to the battery. (based on the pic in my Chilton book.) no real change, and I still get error code P0305.

is #5 on the passenger side all the way n the front:confused::confused::confused:

ssnsltd 12-16-2008 02:30 PM

OK, in another pic the book shows # as passenger side, against the firewall.

should have known the forst pic was reversed by the way they had the igniter.:mad::mad::mad:

ssnsltd 12-17-2008 12:03 PM

To close out this question/ thread:

A dying coil/ bad spark will make ones car shake violently when the overdrive kicks in. Never would have figured that.

Got the opportunity to work on the car in 25deg weather-:cool: and replaced the #5 coil. The spark plug (iridium) although loose, had good coloring to it so I left it in.

Car runs fine other than it has been mostly in storage 2 years so I have some rust on the brakes to work off. Just passed my NYS inspection :D Not the best weather to be driving in, but figure I should run a few tanks of gas through it before putting it back in the barn.