The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Teen clocked going 142mph in Indiana... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36513)

Chiketkd 12-12-2006 11:15 AM

Teen clocked going 142mph in Indiana...

Claims he was trying to get home quickly so his parents wouldn't be mad at him... :rolleyes:

This is as stupid as it gets:

Quote:

TheIndyChannel.com
Indiana Teen Clocked Driving 142 MPH In 55 MPH Zone

POSTED: 10:14 am EST December 12, 2006
UPDATED: 11:57 am EST December 12, 2006

VALPARAISO, Ind. -- A teenager charged with driving 142 mph along a four-lane divided highway said he was speeding home so his parents wouldn't be mad at him for being late, police said.

The boy faces speeding and misdemeanor reckless driving charges and could have his license suspended, police said.

Porter County sheriff's deputies stopped the boy along a rural stretch of U.S. 30 at 12:40 a.m. Saturday after a radar gun clocked his 2004 Subaru Impreza going almost 90 mph faster than the posted 55 mph limit, police said.

It might be the fastest speed ever recorded on the northwestern Indiana county's roads, said Porter County sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Tim Emmons.

"Most people's cars won't go that fast," he said.

The boy told police he was late getting home and didn't want his parents to be angry, Deputy John Brubaker said in his report. The boy told Brubaker he didn't have a curfew but is usually home by midnight.

Brubaker didn't arrest the boy, who had a valid Colorado license, but told him to drive straight home and call him within an hour. The boy's mother called instead and Brubaker told her what happened.

The Associated Press left a message with the boy's parents at their home in Valparaiso seeking comment. They declined to comment when contacted by the Post-Tribune of Merrillville.

"Kids sort of have tunnel vision," Emmons said. "They're so concerned with not getting yelled at or grounded, they place other people's lives in jeopardy."

The highway has two lanes in each direction, divided by a median, and traffic is usually light that time of night, Emmons said.
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/10515942/detail.html

RSVX 12-12-2006 11:21 AM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

SSSVX 12-12-2006 11:26 AM

street reckless speeding, that's why they're kids :rolleyes:

Oh it's a subaru and it's an Impreza...that's why chike posts:D

Chiketkd 12-12-2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSVX
street reckless speeding, that's why they're kids :rolleyes:

Oh it's a subaru and it's an Impreza...that's why chike posts:D

Actually I would have posted this regardless of the make. ;)

I just hope that this'll help members who are parents understand the 'tunnel vision' and pressure their teenagers have. I have a 14 year old step-daughter who'll be getting a learner's permit in less than a year - I plan on showing this news article to her later this evening.

:)

Earthworm 12-12-2006 11:35 AM

Sounds like they're going to let him keep his license!?!

Chiketkd 12-12-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Sounds like they're going to let him keep his license!?!

I bet there'll be a 2004 WRX for sale soon in Indiana/Colorado:

"2004 Impreza, low miles, FAST!" :D

Crazy_pilot 12-12-2006 11:48 AM

145 and they might let him keep his license?!? Around here if someone's caught going 50 KPH (~30 MPH) over the limit it's "Step out of the vehicle, hand over your license, get in the squad car, and call a tow truck".

Lucky bum. Lucky he's still alive.

mikecg 12-12-2006 11:54 AM

Not as impressive as the guy in the rental car. I believe it was a Kia of some sort.

svxistentialist 12-12-2006 12:17 PM

I think this thread should be deleted.

Over here, a 19yo kid would not be insurable in a car that would do over 140 mph.

The sins of the few are visited on the many. Because a small percentage of kids think it is macho to speed, and a large number of the "single vehicle, all occupants killed" accidents are driven by people in the 18-26 age bracket, insurance companies ask $5000 to $7000 per annum for first insurance for young males. And insurance is mandatory.

And that would be on 1300 cc shopping wagons!!:eek:

So this one young pup is bringing all that newspaper and TV attention on young peoples' driving habits. Every time one of these high profile incidents happens, we are one step closer to the Japanese system of having a speed limiter in the engine computer of all cars.:mad: :mad:

While we here debate it and add our voices to the outrage, we are without knowing it handing ammunition to the Big Brother brigade, and no doubt the Police Traffic Corps will be the first to say, "Yeah, that would work"

Burn his license, lock him up and throw away the key, so we can get back to enjoying the power of our cars in safety.

Gotta go, my Mother's expecting me.

Joe:rolleyes: :D

Ricochet 12-12-2006 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Burn his license, lock him up and throw away the key, so we can get back to enjoying the power of our cars in safety.

You've never driven fast before? Everybody did especially at 17 years old.. This kid just happened to get caught. I'm glad the cop let him go home and answer to his parents. I don't know about you guys but when I was 17 I would have rather paid a thousand dollar ticket than have my father find out about something like that.

SVXRide 12-12-2006 01:03 PM

this is the reason why I'm seriously considering having my son's first car be a minivan...
-Bill

RSVX 12-12-2006 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide
this is the reason why I'm seriously considering having my son's first car be a minivan...
-Bill

Think of the possibilities!! He could go all retro and turn it into a "Shag Van"!!

So, how many grandkids did you say you wanted?

SubaSteevo 12-12-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet
You've never driven fast before? Everybody did especially at 17 years old.. This kid just happened to get caught. I'm glad the cop let him go home and answer to his parents. I don't know about you guys but when I was 17 I would have rather paid a thousand dollar ticket than have my father find out about something like that.

I've driven fast, but I've never had the stupidity to drive 140+ mph.

I smell a Darwin Award candidate in the making!

svxistentialist 12-12-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet

I sure have Brian:rolleyes:

But I can honestly say I never drove a car over 140 mph when I was 19.

When I was 19, they were barely getting over that speed in Le Mans;) :eek:

I'm brave enough, but I am not foolhardy. That may be why I am still ALIVE! If that kid lost it somewhere at 140 plus, it would be interesting to speculate on how many others he might take out with him.

OK, I take it back about jail and throwing away the key. I hope his parents take away the Scooby and give him an electric milk float for going to college. One with a tracking device on it, so they can keep an eye on his speed.

Joe

Chiketkd 12-12-2006 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist
I think this thread should be deleted.

Joe,

Personally I think there's a lot of good discussion which can come out of a thread such as this...at least that was my intention when I posted it.

It will definitely stir up some discussion in my house tonight around the dinner table...