The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Proper sunroof operation (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19670)

Earthworm 07-01-2004 01:10 PM

Proper sunroof operation

Describe how your sunroof opens/closes. I'd like to know what the proper operation is.

Mine opens exactly half way, stops then I have to press the button again to open it the rest of the way.

It closes without stopping.

RojoRocket 07-01-2004 01:18 PM

Mine tilts-stops_requiring release/reapplication of control button to open all the way.
To close, push button-stops halfway_requires release/reapplication of control button.

Glenn

dcarrb 07-01-2004 01:34 PM

Re: Proper sunroof operation

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
Describe how your sunroof opens/closes. I'd like to know what the proper operation is.

Mine opens exactly half way, stops then I have to press the button again to open it the rest of the way.

I think mine's right the opposite. Always thought the automatic stop before closing was a safety measure. My old Legacy's sunroof did this.

dcb

Hocrest 07-01-2004 01:57 PM

Re: Proper sunroof operation

Quote:

Ditto...
I always wondered if this was the "correct" way??

nsm484 07-02-2004 01:29 AM

Re: Re: Proper sunroof operation

Quote:

Originally posted by Hocrest

Ditto...
I always wondered if this was the "correct" way??

This is exactly how my Sunroof works as well
And if you look at the points of where it stops.. It makes sence.

Now on MINE what i cant figure out, is once its all the way open...
it doesnt auto shutoff, it just keeps the motor going...

My old 90 Legacy LS didnt do this. :confused:

dcarrb 07-02-2004 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RojoRocket
Mine tilts-stops_requiring release/reapplication of control button to open all the way.
To close, push button-stops halfway_requires release/reapplication of control button.

Glenn

I checked the owner's manual; the above is indeed the proper operation.

dcb

Green1995SVX 07-02-2004 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dcarrb

I checked the owner's manual; the above is indeed the proper operation.

dcb

Earthworm 07-02-2004 09:35 AM

So then the questions remain...why is mine different and how do I fix it?

dcarrb 07-02-2004 09:52 AM

VERY wild guess

Quote:

So then the questions remain...why is mine different and how do I fix it?
It sounds like some wires are literally crossed, as your cycle seems reversed. Maybe the overhead switch console was replaced somewhere along the way, and whoever did the work got the switch connections backward or something...?

dcb

ensteele 07-02-2004 11:46 AM

Is it because it is a Canadian model? Do you have a seat heaters in yours? Maybe it works different. What does your book say about the proper operation?

Earthworm 07-05-2004 02:45 PM

Re: VERY wild guess

Quote:

Originally posted by dcarrb
It sounds like some wires are literally crossed, as your cycle seems reversed. Maybe the overhead switch console was replaced somewhere along the way, and whoever did the work got the switch connections backward or something...?
That I would not doubt since it seems the previous owner must have had this entire car completely dismantled at one point. The sunroof gasket is on backwards (the gap is in the front and not the back as I have observed on everyone else's SVX's).

Earthworm 07-05-2004 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
Is it because it is a Canadian model? Do you have a seat heaters in yours? Maybe it works different. What does your book say about the proper operation?
I seriously doubt it's a CDN thing. No seat heaters...stop drooling. :D

Gargoyle 07-06-2004 12:38 AM

I think my car sat for a long time outside before I got it.
Would explain 51 k with a paint job that looked its age .
But as to the sun roof I thought it didn't work when I got it, as It sounded like the motor started & stoped for a 1/2 sec. Found out later that day that if I gently punched the middle back it would tilt & then open. I dont really care for the stoping 1/2 way closed. Any way I lubed the tracks 3 times & I still have to tap it about 10 % of the time.

nsm484 07-06-2004 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle
I think my car sat for a long time outside before I got it.
Would explain 51 k with a paint job that looked its age .
But as to the sun roof I thought it didn't work when I got it, as It sounded like the motor started & stoped for a 1/2 sec. Found out later that day that if I gently punched the middle back it would tilt & then open. I dont really care for the stoping 1/2 way closed. Any way I lubed the tracks 3 times & I still have to tap it about 10 % of the time.

Mine started that not to long ago... just every once in awhile...
usaly on a realy hot Florida Day after everything has a chance
to expand. But other then having to tap the back of it... it does
work fine. and its about 15% of the time for me

SVX_MY_BABY 07-06-2004 03:19 PM

The roof should stop at the vent position when first opened, then retract all the way next time the button is held. When closing it stops about a third of the way from the back, then requires another push of the button. I was told that the partial open position was created as the parking spot used when driving to reduce wind buffeting. I've tried it and it seems to work.

As far as the roof sticking. It's dirt. I had the same problem and lube only worked for a short while. There is a TSB from Subaru on this one.

Heated seats?