The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Down Under (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   ****Obituary**** " Possum " (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10934)

Trevor 05-22-2003 02:51 AM

****Obituary**** " Possum "

Out of curiosity I just opened a thread re DUCKS and the posts reminded me of something I should have recorded here before. I now make amends by COPYING MY POST IN DUCKS to here, where it is posted under a more fitting title.

These posts ( i.e. in DUCKS ) uncovers in my mind a sad and tragic accident which occured quite recently down under.

We HAD a world ranking champion rally driver " Possum " Bourne, in point of fact he was the best in the southern hemisphere. He drove for SUBARU. He was killed a couple of weeks ago while driving down a hill climb course in a Subaru Forester the local agents had made available for his personal use. The course was being checked by those competing prior to the actual event and a Jeep SUV coming up the road collided with his Forester. There is a police enquiry but all indications are that he was in no way at fault and was travelling within the speed limit. The event was world class and attended by drivers from all over including Japan.

Now I come to the point.----- He got his nick name, which was used universally, I and most others are not aware of his true Christian name, because while in his teens and driving his mother's car, he rolled the car as a result of dodging a possum !

He was rated as a very nice guy and was extremely popular. Thousands attended his funeral which was linked by TV to two venues in both our North and South Islands and was covered by the national TV network. He left a family of two children. All very sad.

Sorry for the gloom but I thought it appropriate as a result of this reminder to now record something I should have covered much earlier.

Trevor. :( :( :(

svxistentialist 05-22-2003 04:11 AM

RIP

Trevor, thanks for sharing the news with us. May he rest in peace, and condolences to his wife and children and family.

I have not followed rallying for some years now, even though I know a lot of our Impreza brethren would be very keen fans for obvious reasons.

Rallying in general does not have many deaths among the participants, though I sometimes wonder how the daft spectators escape at times.

With Harry's {Noir} recent big off in the States, I hope all our people are being dutifully careful. As Possum's accident underlines, just because you are a good driver in a good car, this will not guarantee the ultimate bad news can not happen.

As they were fond of saying on Hill St Blues, "be careful out there"

Joe

oab_au 05-22-2003 06:55 PM

Possum Bourne was a great advocate for Subaru. He did more to develop the WRX into the car it is, than Subaru could have done.

A great driver and gentleman.

I would also like to morn the passing of one of the greatest bike riders of all time, Barry Sheen, who pass away recently here from the big C.

Harvey.

Trevor 05-22-2003 08:03 PM

Thanks Joe,

I have always felt much safer when competing on a closed venue than when drivng on the public road and the reasons are clearly indicated here.

Thanks Harvey,

I sincerely hope that those up top do come down here sometimes.

Do you guys think a titled post in babble would be worthwhile or warranted ?

Regards, Trevor.

P.S. Since posting the above I have realised that I have in fact been negligent and so have posted up top in an effort to make amends.

Ron Mummert 05-22-2003 08:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Trevor
[B]Thanks Joe,

Do you guys think a titled post in babble would be worthwhile or warranted ?

Regards, Trevor.

It never hurts to remind the young, invincible bucks who take to street racing, that life is a blessing. Don't push the inevitable.
Ron (How did we make it last THIS long?)

svxxx26 05-22-2003 08:44 PM

Thanks for posting up top Trevor - I'm saddened by the news.
My prayers to his friends and family.
I've been lucky enough to own a SVX and a WRX. All of us know what a fantastic car the SVX is, the WRX is an amazing car in it's own right.
Next time I dodge a possum I'll give "Possum" a thought...;)

svxistentialist 05-23-2003 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by oab_au
Possum Bourne was a great advocate for Subaru. He did more to develop the WRX into the car it is, than Subaru could have done.

A great driver and gentleman.

I would also like to morn the passing of one of the greatest bike riders of all time, Barry Sheen, who pass away recently here from the big C.

Harvey.

I'm with you on that Harvey.

Seems only months ago we lost Joey Dunlop, and now Bazza goes out to the big C.

He was some man, whichever way you look at it. He did for Suzuki what Possum did for Subaru, and they know it well.

May they both rest in peace. The world is a better place for their having been here, and we are diminished by their passing.

Joe

svxistentialist 06-29-2003 01:18 PM

Oops!

Apologies for the Yamaha reference above I have just noticed and corrected. Must have been one of those late night posts.:D

How come nobody pulled me up??

I know he rode Yamahas in the 80s, but his major world championship successes were on the square four Suzuki 500.

Joe:o