The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Solve my problem & win nothing (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39034)

Ricochet 05-19-2007 07:09 PM

Solve my problem & win nothing

While cruising along at any speed, any throttle position, any gear, my car has random, violent hesitations as if something is locking up for a split second. This usually happens after the car is warmed up. I don't think it's a tranny issue, it's been doing this since I first bought it (before the 5mt). It doesn't feel like a misfire like plugs or anything.. more like hitting a deer or something.

svxstarship 05-19-2007 08:24 PM

My guess would be the MAF. But I'm only guessing.

thumper_svx 05-19-2007 09:12 PM

I'd second the MAF... but it might also be a tranny temp thing. Hook up a gauge and see for sure.

UPnorth362 05-19-2007 10:04 PM

Im guessing maby a fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, IC Igniter, crank or cam position sensor, or temp sensor. There could also be some corrosion in one of the main engine harnesses. Just a shot in the dark, without being able to see the problem.

Ricochet 05-19-2007 11:55 PM

I've replaced the maf sensor twice, and I have a 5mt. Could it be the differential binding up? The front diff on my auto shattered, maybe something is causing them to do so? What can I check?

Trevor 05-20-2007 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet
I've replaced the maf sensor twice, and I have a 5mt. Could it be the differential binding up? The front diff on my auto shattered, maybe something is causing them to do so? What can I check?

Please, please, please, provide more exact information. It is impossible to cover the complete spectrum of possibilities. :)

Budfreak 05-20-2007 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet

If your front diff shattered and the problem your explaining is really that violent of an action, I'd take off the axles and check them to be sure they aren't locking up or grabbing. Are you sure the front wheel bearings are also good?
When this happens, Does it sound like the engine cuts out or just bogs down under the strain of what is happening??

Ricochet 05-20-2007 02:01 AM

It doesn't sound engine related at all. Would wheel bearings do this? I'm starting to hear a noise up front like a small whining that gets louder with speed, but it's been jerking like this even before the sound. Wheel bearings?

michael 05-20-2007 06:46 AM

I'd say it's the diff. Please be careful if you are going to continue to drive it. Drain the fluid and see if you find any teeth or a massive amount of shavings. That whining you describe is the beginning of the end. What condition/size are your tires.

wannarace928 05-20-2007 07:43 AM

A wheel bearing generally makes a loud whiring noise at higher speeds, 45mph+. (this is one noise I know very well) I have had them make grumbling noises and had front ones go bad to the point that they make the steering wheel violently go back and forth.

I know the MAF does cause a lot of issues, I am not sure if it causes the issues you are having, but If you are around columbus, you can try the MAF off of my car to see if it is the MAF that is bad before buying a new one.

DanSVX94 05-20-2007 08:21 AM

Ricochet, was there something you want to say with regards to the naming of this thread that you want to say to me directly?

Landshark 05-20-2007 09:11 AM

ooooh ooooh .... i want to win nothing!

try replacing your cross-drilled brake lines.

Ricochet 05-20-2007 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanSVX94
Ricochet, was there something you want to say with regards to the naming of this thread that you want to say to me directly?

:confused:
Just a joke man.. since I'm poor now. Nothing against you at all.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark
try replacing your cross-drilled brake lines.

que?

Zeppelin 05-20-2007 03:41 PM

When you have a hesitation like that without a CEL, it's almost always fuel or spark related.

Have you replaced the fuel filter or plugs recently? Checked gap on the plugs?

TomsSVX 05-24-2007 04:45 PM

Brian... your car is doing the exact same thing Dan's is... Diagnosis has led only to the ignition switch... I had gotten one for him but he already has one... Do u want me to ship it to u?

Tom