The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Lights, Lights, and more Lights (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50162)

nsm484 05-06-2009 10:47 PM

Lights, Lights, and more Lights

I wanted to get some idea's (hint: PICS!) of how the few of you that have done Neon/LED Exterior/Interior Lighting. :D

my plans Include: Interior Lighting Under/Dash, and maybe under front seats, Exterior neon Lighting, Waterfall Grill and Tailbar Lighting, Headlight/Front Turn Glow, and maybe more later on down the line. ;)

I plan on starting with Interior Lighting. However, with the Interior Lighting under the dash, I am thinking about using CCFL Lighting, aka, Computer Lighting because the light bars are so thin, I can place them how I want, without blocking too Much.

I plan on starting this very soon (within a few days or a week).

I plan on taking the time, to correctly Wire everything very neatly, and Prob. Making a "switchbox" that goes into the Center Console Box, so everything is Nicely Hidden :tongue:

I plan on taking Pictures every step of the way.

Now, I don't need any of the "neon's are so RICE" type of replies. I've always loved Automotive Lighting since I saw them for the first time on a Limo

BoxerFanatic 05-07-2009 12:07 PM

Re: Lights, Lights, and more Lights

I'd use LED strips, and LED replacement bulbs for almost everything you describe, rather than CCFL or Neon. LED stuff is usually set up for 12-volt connection if pre-made, and some arrays are flexible, and even trim-able and coated to be weather-proof, and multiple colors are available. All are pretty small. CCFL requires transformers, and all sorts of other stuff, and rigid, non-twisting or bending mountings, to prevent breakage.

I don't usually want to go overboard, but I have thought about changing my cars' incandescent lighting, inside and out, with LED supplements and replacements, which is longer-life, brighter, and cooler running, with less power draw. LED or Electro-luminescent solid state is the way to go. Neon and other cathode based lighting seems a bit delicate, and inflexible, and requires more electrical adaptation.

Mike621 05-07-2009 01:14 PM

Id suggest staying away from the neon approach. That belongs on signs and civics, IMO.

The best interior lighting upgrade is making sure all existing switches are correctly lit, and replacing map, dome, footwell, and door lighting with white leds.

I have converted my license plate lighting to LED to compliment my HID headlamps on both my Claret and Ebony.

Johnybeas 05-07-2009 08:49 PM

I already have blue accent neons, I have them under passenger and drivers side and also under each of the front seats to glow the back seat. I personally think it looks really good.

I only think neons and colored auto lighting is ricey if it's overdone gawdy and the tubes and lights themselves are visible. If it's clean hidden and installed with a switch I think it's hot.

I'm currently working on rewiring all my neons in a new harness. I originally had circuit city do the wiring, but while doing 5spd swap I found out they wired through the ignition. I didn't like that. So I am wiring directly to the battery protected by fuse and other different things.

I will post my general wiring diagram and pictures after, but if you'd like to see my original set up you can check it on my car domain. you can find that here
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/709361

I am also accompanying this with a full blue interior light conversion (hvac, gauges, keysurround, the works)

Johnybeas 05-07-2009 08:50 PM

ps: you can see it in person in august :) I'm driving back to daytona with it. I'll have my hydra and a few other new things :)

nsm484 05-08-2009 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnybeas (Post 600532)
I only think neons and colored auto lighting is ricey if it's overdone gawdy and the tubes and lights themselves are visible. If it's clean hidden and installed with a switch I think it's hot.

We can get along Nicely! LOL!
So many people here in town with Neon/LED underbody with the tubes clearly visable, I want to :barf: everytime I see it. All Lighting should be hidden, as to give that pure glow effect.

I am planning on doing my wiring alittle Different then most. One thing I like better then a Clean Install, is the Ability to remove it just as cleanly and nicely at anytime. I plan on having every part have their own connector.

I plan on having all Switches, etc Hidden from view, so Unless you go exploring inside my car, you will never know where the switches/hookups are for the lights, etc.

svxcess 05-18-2009 02:04 PM

This looks like a possible waterfall grille project for the next Reading. :rolleyes:

Can be left off for a totally stock look...

Turned on to pure white for use with headlights...

Or use the million-color mode with audio input.

http://www.litewave.co.uk/scannermvie1.wmv

Also flexible LED strips from 1" long to 6 feet.can be trimmed to length

Johnybeas 05-18-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 601807)
This looks like a possible waterfall grille project for the next Reading. :rolleyes:

Can be left off for a totally stock look...

Turned on to pure white for use with headlights...

Or use the million-color mode with audio input.

http://www.litewave.co.uk/scannermvie1.wmv

Also flexible LED strips from 1" long to 6 feet.can be trimmed to length

lol this is cool, but deff a show car thing, not something I'd put in my SVX