The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Changed o2 sensor - interesting problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2057)

ehyde111 11-24-2001 03:04 PM

Changed o2 sensor - interesting problem

I changed both of my o2 sensors today. The right side went fine (I did that one first) the left went aweful!

I unhooked the connector and started to loosen the left o2 sensor (I had the correct socket and all). Got about 1/2 way out pretty easy and then is started to turn really hard!!! I remembered about warming up the exhaust first and ran the car for a bit to do so and tried again. Same result. 1/2 way out and really tough to turn. Well, I had a few choice words and said it has to come out. Got mo 18" pipe to fit on the end of my ratchet and turned away. My fears were confirmed. The far end of the threads on the o2 sensor were stirped! I looked into the exhaust and it looked like the same happened there -- oh crap! Anyway, I fiddled around a bit and cleaned the threads out. The new o2 sensor went in, but it was tough too. I'd imagine the threads are shot and will cost big $$$ to replace the exhaust if my sensors ever go bad again. Does the sterbo setup replace this pipe???

ANyway, how did I foul this up? It seems odd that one side would come out fine and the other like this.

THanks

Aredubjay 11-24-2001 04:14 PM

Re: Changed o2 sensor - interesting problem

Quote:

Originally posted by ehyde111
I changed both of my o2 sensors today. The right side went fine (I did that one first) the left went aweful!

I unhooked the connector and started to loosen the left o2 sensor (I had the correct socket and all). Got about 1/2 way out pretty easy and then is started to turn really hard!!! I remembered about warming up the exhaust first and ran the car for a bit to do so and tried again. Same result. 1/2 way out and really tough to turn. Well, I had a few choice words and said it has to come out. Got mo 18" pipe to fit on the end of my ratchet and turned away. My fears were confirmed. The far end of the threads on the o2 sensor were stirped! I looked into the exhaust and it looked like the same happened there -- oh crap! Anyway, I fiddled around a bit and cleaned the threads out. The new o2 sensor went in, but it was tough too. I'd imagine the threads are shot and will cost big $$$ to replace the exhaust if my sensors ever go bad again. Does the sterbo setup replace this pipe???

ANyway, how did I foul this up? It seems odd that one side would come out fine and the other like this.

THanks

Sounds to me like that sensor has probably been replaced before, and,when it was put in, it was cross-threaded. Perhaps the threads lined up correctly as it got further in (thus, the easier time getting it out half way). Of course, that's pure speculation on my part. As for the stebro set-up, I wouldn't think it would replace that pipe since it's a "cat back" system. Again, just a guess.

Chris 11-25-2001 04:15 AM

Re: Changed o2 sensor - interesting problem

Quote:

Originally posted by ehyde111
Does the sterbo setup replace this pipe???

THanks

Sorry, but it wont replace that pipe as of this moment. That is considered to be a down pipe. The aftermarket exhuast starts just behind the "Y" pipe cat.

Beav 11-26-2001 08:56 AM

Any mechanic worth his salt can fix or replace the fitting without too much problem. Try stopping by a Midas, Meineke, etc. They deal with exhaust all day long and more than likely have been there before. Non-exhaust shops hate working on exhaust, for some reason, and will charge you plenty as a result.

Beav

Beav 11-26-2001 08:58 AM

p.s. If the sensor is in and not leaking don't worry about it until the time comes to replace it (another 60 - 100,000 miles?)