The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Technical STI Emblem. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44262)

Trevor 04-12-2008 07:21 PM

Technical STI Emblem.

I see no reason to award those responding to what may be described as technical problems, ahead of those applying what could be described as general knowledge or factual experience. For good reason, I have requested that the STI emblem be removed from my posts, yet to be implemented.

All assistance/help is the essence of this network and requires no form of reward, much less one special to a certain sector. It is the spirit of tendering assistance which is surely valued, any level of technical ability is of no significance. What is more how can there be an exactly correct judge and jury deciding on the degree in such matters, without the possibility of disappointment and conflict?

TomsSVX 04-12-2008 08:00 PM

I am also on the fence about it... Is less words I agree on most points

Tom

crazyhorse 04-13-2008 06:44 AM

Trevor, The STI status helps the new people distinguish trustworthy advice.

Tom, The badge means you know what you're talking about.

:)

TomsSVX 04-13-2008 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorse (Post 541079)
Trevor, The STI status helps the new people distinguish trustworthy advice.

Tom, The badge means you know what you're talking about.

:)

I know what it means and I can understand the thing about trustworthy advice.... But I feel it may not be needed, but in my case wanted.... I do not like to be looked at as different than anyone else here.... There are things we can all benefit from eachother's knowledge, some just in different topics.... I dunno, just my feelings on the whole thing

Tom

immortal_suby 04-13-2008 08:13 AM

This was introduced and thought of as a "beta test" as it is a work in process. The officers, mods, and admins are currently discussing this. I can assure you that within this discussion, everything said in this thread will be taken into account. Most of what has been said here actually falls under the opinion of at least one of the officers/mods/admin and was already being debated.

Please, anyone else who has a thought/opinion/idea/etc. on the badges feel free to comment in this thread. It was asked before they were implemented for comments but to date we have only received one suggestion in the sticky. Probably because no one reads the stickies and the title doesn't suggest anything about the badge. http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44090

Let's try to keep this positive. We'd like to hear your input.

Trevor, I don't have control over how to apply or remove a badge, I'll contact someone who does.

SVXRide 04-13-2008 09:05 AM

Maybe we just need to add a "The Toms' Garage" forum:p:p
-Bill

TomsSVX 04-13-2008 09:23 AM

I just don't want new members and our old fellers to see a change in sometrhing as simple as a badge and expect something more than a fellow SVXer, granted I may be able to answer questions others might, I don't want a title to tell people that. I will answer the questions just as often as before the badge with no intention of living up to a "title". It was a good idea but if you would be so kind as to remove mine as well it would be appreciated...

Tom

TomsSVX 04-13-2008 09:24 AM

one more thing... If you wanted to the technical guys a favor... It would be to increase the PM allowance, I am always deleting valuable messages because of exceeding the limit.

Tom

nextse7en 04-13-2008 10:01 AM

I thought I might weigh in here.

The emblem is a thank you. It significates that we (the officers) trust your advice, and that you go the extra mile to help expand the body of knowledge that we have. If you don't want it because of your own personal values. Or you don't want to be thanked for your work, you are certainly welcome to reject it, just as anyone is receiving any kind of award.

I think of it also as a way to help the new people on the site know where to turn. Replies in the technical Q&A forum are, unfortunately, not always coming from a place of experience.

In the end, I think it is an elegant way to save people grief, and of thanking members who have provided so much help for free.

But, if you don't want to be recognized, and you would rather not have people weigh your advice over that of john q. forum member, then please, ask for it to be removed.

-Patrick

SVXRide 04-13-2008 10:43 AM

Here's a thought, how about a "sticky" in the "Technical Q&A" forum that identifies folks that have established technical credibility in given SVXi areas? This way we recognize their contributions to the community and it's a reference "sticky" for new members.
-Bill

RSVX 04-13-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 541032)
yet to be implemented.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 541102)
It was a good idea but if you would be so kind as to remove mine as well it would be appreciated...

Tom

Done........

TomsSVX 04-13-2008 10:57 AM

Thanks Chris, I don't want to throw it back in anyone's face... Please understand that... I just didn't really like the idea personally.

Tom

SomethingElse 04-13-2008 11:38 AM

can I have Toms old badge?:lol:

J/K I never know what I'm doing or talking about.

Now how are the NOOBS going to know who to trust?

ensteele 04-13-2008 01:47 PM

One thing that helps, but can't be relied on is post count. That indicates someone has been around for some time. Now the hard part - did they just post a paragraph one word at a time to up their post count, or did they give good acurate info in many different good threads. That reamains to be seen. If you post a question, let some different members answer and watch who they come from to eventually know who to trust. :)

Trevor 04-13-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nextse7en (Post 541108)
I thought I might weigh in here.

The emblem is a thank you. It significates that we (the officers) trust your advice, and that you go the extra mile to help expand the body of knowledge that we have. If you don't want it because of your own personal values. Or you don't want to be thanked for your work, you are certainly welcome to reject it, just as anyone is receiving any kind of award.

I think of it also as a way to help the new people on the site know where to turn. Replies in the technical Q&A forum are, unfortunately, not always coming from a place of experience.

In the end, I think it is an elegant way to save people grief, and of thanking members who have provided so much help for free.

But, if you don't want to be recognized, and you would rather not have people weigh your advice over that of john q. forum member, then please, ask for it to be removed.

-Patrick

One of the dangers as I have pointed out, is that a judgement is being made which can give rise to possible disputes and hard feelings. Why go there? Is It is surely obvious, even to new members, as to those who regularly provide assistance.

A badge of technical ability should not be awarded on a basis of non technical judgement. What is more, many with a depth of general knowledge and experience continually offer advice of equal value. Where does technical knowledge start and end? All advice/help deserves equal recognition.

Why tread insecure ground, when a firm basis has been proven successful over many years. There are those who will/do post in the course of an ego trip. Rewards will certainly be to their liking, but will do nothing to enhance genuine good will.