The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest Region (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Gah! Transmission!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29751)

aviatrix 11-22-2005 10:58 AM

Gah! Transmission!!

Well, my transmission went last night on the drive home. It began slipping more and more and finally stopped working completely. There is some transmission fluid dripping out the bottom of the bell housing. Is this how they normally go?

So who should I take it to and what should should I expect to pay? Or depending on the answers does anyone want to buy an extremely nice pearl 2WD SVX that needs a tranny?

Michele

Seraph 11-22-2005 11:30 AM

Check with Alli. She has a few tranny replacements. ;)

Earthworm 11-22-2005 11:34 AM

See if you can blame the tranny failure on when it was stolen!

aviatrix 11-22-2005 11:58 AM

I just talked to the insurance company and I'm trying to do that. I mean it was stolen twice this summer, one time for three weeks plus. I need to find a shop that not only can I can trust to do a good job but that will also say that the failure was the result of abuse likely at the hands of the crooks. Any advice as to what shop that might be would be greatly appreciated!

Michele

Alycone 11-23-2005 06:09 PM

I had a rather unpleasant experience with the local aamco (my car came with an aamcr*p warrantee), and a good experience getting my tranny swapped out at Smart Service.

aviatrix 11-23-2005 06:16 PM

Anyone ever hear of Clary's Transmission Service. I got a strong recomendation from someone who has worked on the car before so it is over there now.

Michele

aviatrix 12-13-2005 01:40 PM

Well after they tore down the transmission it was really obvious that it had been subjected to some serious abuse so the insurance company is picking it up to the tune just over $3K! What a relief! So now I'm hoping that Clary's transmission that is doing the work are going to do a good job. In theory I get it back in the next couple of days so I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Michele

Earthworm 12-13-2005 02:18 PM

Great news about insurance covering it! My fingers are crossed hoping the "new" tranny is a keeper! You may want to ask what they did (repair vs replace) and if they flushed the entire system (radiator, torque converter, etc)

Alycone 12-13-2005 10:37 PM

Woah, what insurance do you have? :)

Glad to hear youre fixing your baby. :cool:

NikFu S. 12-13-2005 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviatrix
Is this how they normally go?

I dunno, but mine went two days after an accident. I was kinda ticked off and gunned it in reverse into a parking spot.
There was a clunk, and when I came back to drive home, only 3rd gear was available.