The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Cold! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15664)

petesvx2 01-15-2004 03:34 PM

Cold!

It's gonna be -40 tonight with the wind chill! :eek:

Aredubjay 01-15-2004 03:43 PM

Re: Cold!

Quote:

Originally posted by petesvx2
I was watching CNN last night, and in some parts of upstate New York, they were expected to have wind chill readings of -120:eek:

Mr. Pockets 01-15-2004 03:50 PM

Re: Re: Cold!

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

I was watching CNN last night, and in some parts of upstate New York, they were expected to have wind chill readings of -120:eek:

When I lived in VT (how many times have you all heard that phrase?) I used to hear that -100 wind chill was as low as the instruments could read. Maybe we have new instruments. :)

shelfy 01-15-2004 04:19 PM

i think we has another 60+ degree in denver. :D

GreenMarine 01-15-2004 04:36 PM

Re: Cold!

Quote:

Originally posted by petesvx2
That sucks for you guys.... Hehehehe, it was 68*F here in Beaufort today... Hell I'm walking around right now with a short sleev shirt on... It isn't that bad down here at the moment... :):D:D:cool:

Aredubjay 01-15-2004 04:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Cold!

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

When I lived in VT (how many times have you all heard that phrase?) I used to hear that -100 wind chill was as low as the instruments could read. Maybe we have new instruments. :)

The meteorologist didn't say it was a "measurable" -120. He said that with sustained winds of 80-100 miles per hour, wind chills could reach -120.

Personally, I don't worry 'bout it. I don't plan on being ANYWHERE that it gets THAT COLD! BRRRRRRRRR!!!

Mr. Pockets 01-15-2004 05:05 PM

Cold like that goes beyond 'brrrr.' I will always prefer cold over hot, but I experienced many days at negative double-digit temperatures and it felt downright...dead...outside.

A friend of mine grew up in North Pole, Alaska and told me that if it got below a certain temperature outside nobody could drive anywhere because their tires would break.

petesvx2 01-15-2004 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

A friend of mine grew up in North Pole, Alaska and told me that if it got below a certain temperature outside nobody could drive anywhere because their tires would break.

Now tat is cold!!!!!!! (broken keyboard)

upnygimp 01-15-2004 05:58 PM

Yeah, the Avenger is definitely not loving the cold. At home right now(near Albany, NY), its supposedly is -7, feels like -31. Here (at school in Buffalo), it is 0, feels like -15.

Its cold around here

immortal_suby 01-15-2004 07:35 PM

You going to school at UB?
Ahh - some of the coldest times of my life were spent during my "cough" 5 years in buffalo getting an engineering degree.

I did time there the year it snowed 3 feet in a day (96?)- and I drove to work and back in it (in the little red wagon)
Wegmans never closes.

It snows sideways there. I haven't seen that anywhere else yet.

But - I had the little red wagon with me.

Did I mention I once got pulled over in the little red wagon for passing a cop on the highway in buffalo?

I was doing the speed limit at the time.

In a foot or so of snow....

God, I love that wagon.

upnygimp 01-15-2004 08:06 PM

Yup, thats exactly where I am.......and it has been snowing sideways all day. The Avenger is not as good as the little red wagon sounds like it was. Damn I want an AWD Subaru right now. :( The Wegman's over on Maple is like a friggin grocery store mecca, I went in there once and was all but amazed at the size.

LarryIII 01-16-2004 04:38 AM

Brrrrrr.

This morning at around 5:30 AM I got into SVXY and turned the key. He fired up as usual aftersitting all night in the driveway. I shut off the CD to listen to the engine. It seemed a little more noisy than usual. It pushed the outside temp button and the number 5 came glaring back at me. Now that's cold for DE and no wonder the engine was so noisy and the seats were so friggin' cold. I let the car idle for 4-5 minutes before pulling out to go to work. During the drive I had the heat on 85 and the fan at top speed and the setting on recirc. , but it still took about 15 minutes to feel heat on my feet.
It's mornings like this when I think that I'm getting too old for this stuff. I sure would be nice to retire and stay in bed on cold mornings like this.

Mr. Pockets 01-16-2004 10:40 AM

Pretty much any car is going to complain when it gets that cold, Larry. My SVX made noises on some mornings in VT that I haven't heard it make since.

Aredubjay 01-16-2004 11:58 AM

I live in Kentucky because I love my four seasons. Although, it seems as though the Fall is shorter than when I was a kid. There's also less snow (it used to always snow on Christmas :()

I guess it's global warming (which, for now is freezing my a$$ off).

wawazat?? 01-16-2004 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
You going to school at UB?
Ahh - some of the coldest times of my life were spent during my "cough" 5 years in buffalo getting an engineering degree.

Matt,

I didn't know you had a Masters Degree :D

Todd