The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Suspicious Fluid Leak (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12582)

The Monzta 08-12-2003 06:42 PM

Suspicious Fluid Leak

I noticed a puddle of fluid under my SVX yesterday. I looked underneath and there was a constant drip of cool water just inboard of the LHS front wheel (passenger side here in the UK).

The water was leaking from a rubber pipe protruding from the lower bulkhead and looked to be some sort of vent or overflow pipe.

As my aircon has been on permanently lately due to us here in Britain having an unseasonably good summer......more than three days without snow:D I wondered whether the water leaking was something to do with the aircon.

The puddle is quite large and I've never had anything like this on other cars with aircon.

Should I be worried or is this just another innocent SVX idiosyncrasy?

Ron Mummert 08-12-2003 07:14 PM

Re: Suspicious Fluid Leak

Quote:

Originally posted by The Monzta
I noticed a puddle of fluid under my SVX yesterday. I looked
The puddle is quite large and I've never had anything like this on other cars with aircon.

Should I be worried or is this just another innocent SVX idiosyncrasy?

You've never had weather like this either!
Every car I've ever owned with A/C will leave a puddle when parked after running the A/C. The condenser frost simply melts. I didn't know the SVX had a tube that drips though. Anyone else?

Ron (My tube drips occasionally).

nubs 08-12-2003 07:44 PM

Yes there is a drain for the evaporator,it would be a short tube that goes thru the firewall.

Ron you better get that checked before it becomes serious.:D :D

ensteele 08-12-2003 11:21 PM

Mike

Ron's tube only drips when he is alone or with somebody! ;)

Yes, he should get it checked - but, its no big deal! :D

The Monzta 08-13-2003 03:21 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, so I don't have anything to worry about? The images of pound notes floating away in front of my very eyes can be put to the back of my mind then?

As for your dripping problem Ron, I suggest you get to your doctor ASAP and have a catch tray fitted. You may even be able to recycle the 'drippage' into someting useful.

svx_commuter 08-13-2003 04:58 AM

On days with higher humidity, it will drip more as more moisture will condense in the evaporator and travel down the tube. Some times the tube gets blocked and needs to be blown out. While a strong sucking action would be most helpful to correct this problem, it is not likely. Blowing into the hose with a air source, compressed air, will clear the passage.

Sometimes dirt or mildew or mold can collect at the bottom of tray for the Evap. This is the stuff that can clog the tube.

At times when the tube is completely block, a back-up can occur. This results in an overflow that will land on the passengers feet or a wet carpet on that side of the car or water blowing out of the vents.

CigarJohnny 08-13-2003 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
On days with higher humidity, it will drip more as more moisture will condense in the evaporator and travel down the tube. Some times the tube gets blocked and needs to be blown out. While a strong sucking action would be most helpful to correct this problem, it is not likely. Blowing into the hose with a air source, compressed air, will clear the passage.

Sometimes dirt or mildew or mold can collect at the bottom of tray for the Evap. This is the stuff that can clog the tube.

At times when the tube is completely block, a back-up can occur. This results in an overflow that will land on the passengers feet or a wet carpet on that side of the car or water blowing out of the vents.

OMG, John! :eek: You just described Ron's entire pickup line he uses on the ladies at his local meat-market!! Oddly enough he seems to keep using it in spite of the fact that he keeps striking out. He always comes home with his face smelling of various liquors, wines & hops.

:D:D:D