The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   i have a 1996 svx that will not idle (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55344)

moepower 08-24-2010 09:26 PM

i have a 1996 svx that will not idle

i bought a 1996 svx the timing was off so i fixed that and now it wont idle

odepaj 08-24-2010 10:12 PM

Re: i have a 1996 svx that will not idle

Quote:

Originally Posted by moepower (Post 656132)
i bought a 1996 svx the timing was off so i fixed that and now it wont idle

We're gonna need more information then that.

Not to sound like you are wrong, but are you sure you set the timing correctly?

Dustin

Johnybeas 08-24-2010 10:30 PM

if timing is correct, cracked vacuum lines?? mas info=much helpie

moepower 08-26-2010 06:16 PM

i checked timing again timing was one tooth off on right side fixed that the car now idles but idles rough

heres the hole story on the the car i bought it from a guy in minn, mn for $650 the car has 163000 miles on it the guy told me he had replaced the tranny 20000 miles a go with a tranny that had 30000 miles on it he then told me that he had replaced the the water pump and timing belt and drove the car for a few months when i bought the car it was not running because the timing was off when i checked it it was 4 tooths off on one side now the car runds good but has a rough idle the guy told me the car had sat for a year before i bought it it had a half tank of gas in it

could the rough idle be because of old gas

SoCal LS-L 08-26-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moepower (Post 656275)
i checked timing again timing was one tooth off on right side fixed that the car now idles but idles rough

heres the hole story on the the car i bought it from a guy in minn, mn for $650 the car has 163000 miles on it the guy told me he had replaced the tranny 20000 miles a go with a tranny that had 30000 miles on it he then told me that he had replaced the the water pump and timing belt and drove the car for a few months when i bought the car it was not running because the timing was off when i checked it it was 4 tooths off on one side now the car runds good but has a rough idle the guy told me the car had sat for a year before i bought it it had a half tank of gas in it

could the rough idle be because of old gas

Doubtful, you could pour in some fuel stabilizer with another gallon of fresh gas to find out though.

The guy probably set the timing to where you found it, I bet he tried to use the arrows to set the timing, scratched his head when it wouldnt start, and gave up on it for a year before deciding "Im too lazy to work on it again, lets ditch it and buy that EBay Starfleet uniform we always wanted". So hopefully now its in better hands.

You can try Seafoaming it, check the plugs too, its a pain but you cant diag a bad idle without verifying the plugs condition.

Hopefully that waterpump job wasnt to try to correct an overheating problem, or 4 out of 5 experts here will agree its your headgaskets :lol:

kwren 08-27-2010 01:53 AM

Install the timing belt correctly first...

Keith:cool: