The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spilled A TON of coffee in my car - now what? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12572)

Green1995SVX 08-12-2003 07:15 AM

Spilled A TON of coffee in my car - now what?

On friday I managed to spill an entire starbucks grande mocha on the floor of my svx (I didnt even take a sip of it). The carpet immediatly soaked it up. I tried to get it out of the carpet as fast as I could with what I had but I know i probably got about 10% of it out of there. For the first couple days it smelled nice, but now it's starting to smell pretty funky in there. Does anyone have any tips for me? I have the car in the garage with the windows down, but I know there's probably some way to make it smell like a svx again and not the weird odor that is coming from it.

Mike

Landshark 08-12-2003 07:37 AM

i'd try a steam vac with the handheld attachment. i'm going to do mine today - its not smelly, but real dirty!

additional smell-killers i like:
Ozium (Pepboys, Advance Auto, etc.) - powerful stuff, spray in car, shut door. don't sit in car for a while, you will die. ;) i think this is the stuff they use in hotel rooms, but it also comes in 'new car smell'.

Griot's Garage New Leather scent spray. yum!

nubs 08-12-2003 08:33 AM

I would try to find a steam vac like Alan sugested.Does Kervin have a recon dept,maybe they have one.

mohrds 08-12-2003 09:20 AM

Pull out the seats, carpet and underpad.

Put the seats back in with some cardboard floormats so you can still drive the car.

wash, dry and then bleach the underpad and let it bake in the sun a few days.

Wash both sides of the carpet with mild soap and lots of water. Let bake in sun for a few days.

Most American drinks are so full of sugar, you will have mold everywhere if you don't get it out right away.

Doug

mbtoloczko 08-12-2003 10:35 AM

Oh man, that's a bummer. I was going to suggest renting a steam cleaner from your local supermarket, but mohrds suggestion sounds like what is needed to get rid of the odor.

SVX10 08-12-2003 10:37 AM

Maybe turtle wax?

You could use turtle wax

carpet cleaner, that is. I just did that on Sunday. I bought the turtle wax foam cleaner with a brush on the head. Spray the foam, rub it in with the bristle brush, let it dry, vacuum it. I got some soda stains out of my carpet, and it smelled pretty good. Just takes lots of elbow grease...it's a great shoulder workout too!

JLittell 08-12-2003 10:58 AM

Try Woolite Pet Stain remover. Works really well. You'll need to extract it out.

Kerven Subaru 08-12-2003 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
Pull out the seats, carpet and underpad.

Put the seats back in with some cardboard floormats so you can still drive the car.

wash, dry and then bleach the underpad and let it bake in the sun a few days.

Wash both sides of the carpet with mild soap and lots of water. Let bake in sun for a few days.

Most American drinks are so full of sugar, you will have mold everywhere if you don't get it out right away.

Doug

That would be good if I had all the time in the world. I barely have enough time to sleep! I'll try spraying some of that carpet cleaner stuff in there and see what pans out.

Mike (At work.)

mohrds 08-12-2003 11:32 AM

You can try and pull it out from the surface all you want. It has already soaked through to the floorpan.

Doug

nubs 08-12-2003 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
You can try and pull it out from the surface all you want. It has already soaked through to the floorpan.

When I changed the carpet in my car I noticed that it had a heavy plastic coating on the back of it. That should have kept it from soaking through to the floor pan.

srmifer 08-12-2003 01:12 PM

oxyclean!! the stuff really works...and gets rid of odors. you can use it in a steam cleaner. but what i would recommend if you choose to go this route...is mix up a strong solution of it...semi-soak the area where you spilled. let it sit for about 5 minutes...then go at it with the steam vac (used mostly to just pull the stuff out). i managed to do the same thing (with less coffee) in my grand, and it worked very nicely. just my 2 cents

LarryIII 08-12-2003 07:38 PM

Pour Scotch straight-up, alll over the carpet. The alcohol in it will kill the mold and the car will smell a heck of alot better.

LarryIII 08-12-2003 07:38 PM

Pour Scotch straight-up, alll over the carpet. The alcohol in it will kill the mold and the car will smell a heck of alot better. :D :D

Ron Mummert 08-12-2003 08:03 PM

Don't do anything. When it comes time to trade in on a newer SVX, advertise it as a rare "Starbucks Edition" LSi. Any Yuppie will pay extra for the "Expresso Mod" (adds 10 nervous energy HP).

You're welcome, Ron.

benebob 08-12-2003 08:42 PM

I can't believe no one suggested Fabreeze!