The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My windshield adventure (Warning Long) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63075)

steamer99 09-13-2014 12:36 PM

My windshield adventure (Warning Long)

2 Attachment(s)
So this spring my windshield got bad enough that I decided to get the insurance co. to replace it. Saga started early July
1) First glass shop "we can not get you one you will have to talk to the dealer"
2) Dealer says "None in Canada but there is a Bronze one in Oregon" he goes on to explain that I need to get a claim number and suggests a local glass shop that he deals with on lots of the time.
3) Second glass shop starts the claim process, but runs into a problem with the cost of the windshield and the age of the car. The automatic system will not complete without "authorization" and pictures are not enough must take it down to the local ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia) claim center .
4) At the claim center the adjuster says he can't do the evaluation using the "short form" that the glass shop uses and I need to start the claim process over again by calling the central "claim center" and making sure that they use the "long form".
5) Central claim center starts the process but I have to wait 3 weeks for an appointment to see the adjuster.
6) The adjuster looks at the SVX, and says he needs to find a comparable car for sale in Canada to see if it would be less expensive for them to replace the car rather than just the windshield, and he would call when it has been done.
7) About 2 weeks later I finally get the call that my windshield replacement has been approved.
8) Back to the glass shop, I give them the new approved claim number.
9) The following week the glass shop calls and says the windshield is ordered and on the way.
10) Approx another 3 weeks and the glass shop calls me to make a decision because the windshield form Oregon was bronze but came in "smashed" so they returned it to the dealer and had them bring in another one but it came in green. even though it had the same Subaru part number and the dealer says that that is all that is available. I decide to put it in and live with the wrong color.
11) So I now have a new windshield in the SVX, (see pic 1) I asked the glass shop to give me the shipping boxes for it, so I now have a shipping box if anybody needs one.
12) When I looked at the label on the box I was surprised to see it was made this year (see pic 2)

Blacky 09-13-2014 02:51 PM

Re: My windshield adventure (Warning Long)

I thought the bronze ones ran out a long time ago.
Your door should be white. It would look like our flag. More patriotic eh?

bwb3 09-13-2014 04:33 PM

The installation looks good. Congrats on perservering with your claim. Tinting the side and rear glass can help hide the color difference.
Gene

1986nate 09-13-2014 07:01 PM

Bronze is technically out according to the dealer inventory network, however by calling every single possible dealer, you can fine one. Green are the only being produced and all part numbers have superceded. This is because the green are cheapest to produce as they don't have the titanium oxide coating.

BRADY 09-14-2014 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 736489)
Bronze is technically out according to the dealer inventory network, however by calling every single possible dealer, you can fine one. Green are the only being produced and all part numbers have superceded. This is because the green are cheapest to produce as they don't have the titanium oxide coating.

Ahhhh, crap.

I had a green one installed about two years ago. Always hoped I would eventually find a bronze. Not happy to hear that this is not likely, especially in OZSTRAYLIA.

Damn you Subaru!!!

SoobCrazy 10-04-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 736489)

Interesting thought about calling each dealer. Have you found a bronze one this way?

How did you hear about the decision to only produce green windshields? Not trying to question you, I'm just interested to know.

1986nate 10-12-2014 02:50 AM

It's been widely known for over 5 years now. And you're the only person that has actually received an OE bronze windshield that I know of in that time. All part numbers for all windshields are superceded to the green windshield part number.

92 SVX 10-12-2014 07:49 PM

I think I received a OEM blue in 2011, it came from Atlanta GA subaru warehouse. At that time there were not many left I do know that.

steamer99 10-13-2014 04:42 AM

That was the good news as shown by pic 2 they may not make the colors we want but at least they made another run of them this year.