The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Get a Saab 900 SPG? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21691)

alex_umn 09-30-2004 09:28 AM

Get a Saab 900 SPG?

Hey all!

I have the opportunity to get a black, rust-free '85 Saab 900 SPG five speed with a spare engine for $1700. Owned by a Saab mechanic, has a new steering rack and other problem parts are fine.

What do you guys think? I'm sitting on some overtime pay, and I could finish off IRA contributions for the year, or get a nearly two-decade old car.

It would be nice to have one of those huge hatchbacks, and I've always loved the styling. :cool:

Any opinions welcomed. Thanks!

GreenMarine 09-30-2004 09:40 AM

You better let Porter know about this!!! He is a Saab freak!!! :D:D:D

NikFu S. 09-30-2004 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
You better let Porter know about this!!! He is a Saab freak!!! :D:D:D
He still around?

Earthworm 09-30-2004 05:36 PM

He hasn't posted since June 28.

He has been here though. He modified one of his posts Aug 11.

The Deviant 09-30-2004 06:47 PM

Re: Get a Saab 900 SPG?

GET THE SAAB!!!

:)

Seriously. I happen to be a Subaru/Saab nut, and have owned many a Saab and Subaru...

They are quirky bishes though... I mean, come on... The engine is on TOP of the transmission (ie. the transmission serves as the oil resivoir) and the engine is in backwards (ie. belts side TOWARDS the firewall) :)

Be careful trying to get 'more power', as it is addictive, and expensive when you start breaking out 3rd gear on the transmission (Like I have twice). If it's an auto, leave it for a manual, seriously. The 3 speed is horrible. My 89 convert was auto, but I switched it to manual - best money I have spent on it.

I can't think of anything other than the tranny that I've had issues with, other than a steering rack on an 86 900 I had...

Otherwise, the SPG is pretty nice... Put some Bilsteins on it, Swedish Dynamics lowering springs, and poly bushings, and you'll be amazed at the handling. There's also a good aftermarket IMHO.

In like 88, they changed a lot, though - Better brakes, water cooled turbo, etc., but an 85 SPG - that was the intro year for the SPG! Gotta get that one! :)

Sorry for the 'rant'. I loves me some Saabs... (Ohyea, and the turbo will sound will also become addictive :) )

PS: Check out www.saabcentral.com they have some buyer guides to classic saabs...

NikFu S. 09-30-2004 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
He modified one of his posts Aug 11.
How do you know that? ?_?

GreenMarine 10-01-2004 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NikFu S.

How do you know that? ?_?

Look in his member profile.... Either that or be here when he does it :):rolleyes:

I know, He's been on NASIOC almost all the time now... I'm on there alot too :rolleyes:

alex_umn 10-01-2004 02:48 PM

I decided against getting the SPG; they are friggin sweet but I should really save money for retirement, the SVX, and hopefully a better garage to hold neat future projects... :D

Mr. Pockets 10-01-2004 02:52 PM

You are an inspiration to all of who aspire to be more responsible. :p

Chiketkd 10-01-2004 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
You are an inspiration to all of who aspire to be more responsible. :p
So what ever happened to that 80's 300ZX you were looking at Pockets?

-Chike

Mr. Pockets 10-01-2004 04:51 PM

Well, I didn't buy it, for one. I really wish I had, it was just bad timing for me.

Right now I'm looking for a MkI MR2. Unfortunately, they seem to come in two varieties:

1. High mileage, rebuilt engine, mostly bondo. $500.

2. Low mileage, excellent condition. $4000.

It's annoying.

Subafreak 10-01-2004 07:32 PM

Whats SPG stand for?

The Deviant 10-01-2004 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
Whats SPG stand for?
I think its like Special Performance Group or Saab Performance Group. They had better factory suspension, leather, a more 'tuned' turbo computer/ECU...