The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Nylon Garage Door Roller (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63652)

theflystyle 09-09-2015 06:16 AM

Nylon Garage Door Roller

Just thought I would pass on some good news. I just installed some of these rollers to quiet down my door and reduce noise heard in the house. They were sealed ball bearing rollers and the difference was pretty dramatic. I grabbed them from Amazon for a very reasonable price. I got it from one of the other listed sellers for a little cheaper.

LINKY: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

svxcess 09-09-2015 01:21 PM

Re: Nylon Garage Door Roller

I did the exact same thing and the difference in noise reduction and vibration was a dramatic improvement.

I was also advised my my garge door installer to NEVER lubricate the tracks with lithium grease, silicone spray or anything else.

Don't spray any lubricant to the garage door track when the garage door becomes noisy. The lubricant will not contribute to the proper functioning of the track of a garage door. Lubricants can initiate the collection of particulate matter, dirt and debris that will eventually harden and can complicate the function of the garage door.

Instead of lubricating the garage door track, just clean it thoroughly on a regular basis. Proper cleaning of the track of a garage door involves simply wiping the inside portion of the track with the use of a damp cloth. After doing this, wipe it off with a dry cloth. If there is a need to use a solution to remove any sticky residue on the track, WD 40 lubricant works well.

theflystyle 09-09-2015 06:06 PM

+1 to everything you mentioned John.

I am planning on getting the wall mount Liftmaster 8500. That is a direct drive opener which is going to give me more clearance in the center of the garage (for the eventual lift) along with quieting down the door opening even more.

Landshark 09-10-2015 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflystyle (Post 741866)
I just installed some of these rollers to quiet down my door and reduce noise heard in the house.

that's great, but the main source of noise for me is the 1970's-ish Craftsman chain drive door opener. GRRRRANNNNNNGGGGGG

i'd replace it, but the old Craftsman in my last house (even older - from the 60's?) never gave me a problem and is probably still working. i've read that the quiet belt drive units can be problematic.

theflystyle 09-10-2015 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 741877)
that's great, but the main source of noise for me is the 1970's-ish Craftsman chain drive door opener. GRRRRANNNNNNGGGGGG

i'd replace it, but the old Craftsman in my last house (even older - from the 60's?) never gave me a problem and is probably still working. i've read that the quiet belt drive units can be problematic.

And thats why you need to look at the Liftmaster 8500

Landshark 09-10-2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflystyle (Post 741878)
And thats why you need to look at the Liftmaster 8500

it works fine, though. will the Liftmaster still be working in 2055?

theflystyle 09-10-2015 12:02 PM

I would love to hear their answer to that. Everything is disposable now-a-days.

Hocrest 09-10-2015 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 741879)
it works fine, though. will the Liftmaster still be working in 2055?

The 1960's Craftsman? Probably...
The 2015 Craftsman? Doubt it...

Landshark 09-10-2015 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 741884)
The 1960's Craftsman? Probably...
The 2015 Craftsman? Doubt it...

yeah, things suck now.
just replaced a 4 year old stainless refrigerator. i wasnt going to go without a fridge who knows how many days/weeks while repairs were attempted, so i just bought a new one. :rolleyes: