The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Factory Spec Temperature.... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13652)

Szalkerous 10-09-2003 12:33 AM

Factory Spec Temperature....

What is the factory spec for the operating temperature for the 4EAT in the SVX?

I've been getting consistant 240 degree op. temps, even with a large tranny cooler.

Help anyone?? Iwant it to stay under 190!!! I don't care if I overcool!!

mbtoloczko 10-09-2003 12:46 AM

Re: Factory Spec Temperature....

Quote:

Originally posted by Szalkerous
What is the factory spec for the operating temperature for the 4EAT in the SVX?

I've been getting consistant 240 degree op. temps, even with a large tranny cooler.

Help anyone?? Iwant it to stay under 190!!! I don't care if I overcool!!

I'm not sure that Subaru recommends, but it is generally agreed that the optimum temp for non-synthetic ATF is between 170F and 200F. You can go maybe 20F higher with synethic.

Landshark 10-09-2003 07:46 AM

240!!! yikes!

here are two things you can try:

you may want to insulate your temp sender - i did to mine and the temps seem to drop 10-20 degress from what they usually were. i think it was picking up heat from the engine - it depends where yours is situated.

remove your belly pan. you'll see a big drop in temps and the temp will drop quicker, too. i'm going to put mine back on for the winter to keep the salt and crap off of my stuff underneath.

svx_commuter 10-09-2003 05:12 PM

Is that with normal cruising or driving hard? What's the ambient air temp for the 240F? In normal cruising I run about 100F above the air temp. When it gets to be 98F outside it can hit 230F going up hills. The engine thermostat opens at 180F so if your driven hard or racing on a track, 240F is pretty good. :)

Earthworm 10-22-2003 07:58 PM

You can also change how your tranny cooler is hooked up (parallel<-->series<-->disconnected) to see which setup is optimum for you.

I can only assume you get these temps in city driving.

I normally see a max of 210-215°F in city driving with no aux cooler.

tlemmons 11-21-2003 09:48 AM

I have the same problem per say. My trans temp holds the 210-240 mark alot. I drive mountain roads so my driving is a little harder on average them most. I have an external cooler and have tried with and without the built in cooler in series (have not tried parrellel). External temp does not seem to have much effect except maybe to extemes.

My first thought was that there was restriction in the lines that did not allow for good circulation but when I removed a line the flow seemed good but not under much pressure. I don't know if this is what it should have been or not (anyone?).

Let me know if you find anything since from the sounds of others this is really running on the hot side. If I drive hard I can get it to the 260 mark on my gauge!