The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   rear-end on fire!!!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7330)

cxt2001 12-03-2002 01:18 AM

rear-end on fire!!!!!

Driving down to school my car's rear-end gears or whatever caught on fire. It was a huge mess, tons of white smoke and all that, and a tore up mess in the back end. So.....My dad gets the new parts for it and replaces it, my dad is very good with cars...and so I finally get my car back after months of being worked on. Driving back down to school after thanksgiving, everything seemed alright, (a little grabbing sensation when accellerating, just thought it was wheel bearings) So Im on the same road, and boom the sh*t hits the fan. Same catastrophe. But this time I was alone, luckly some nice citizens stopped and put the fire out with Coke's! Fire trucks came and all that, it was terrible...I just dont understand what is happening here? All my dad did was replace all that stuff; it was a remove bad put in good type of thing....no rebuilding of parts or anything....had anyone else ever had this happen to them.....and is their a way to make this bad boy a full time FWD??? I'm sick of AWD and its costly problems that come along with it. Sorry for the long post...I really need help....its stuck in my parking lot at school

svx_commuter 12-03-2002 10:12 AM

I am sorry to hear of your problems.:( I also think your the first to have this failure.

Are both your rear tires the same size or is one worn way down?

Beav 12-03-2002 10:41 AM

There's a lot more to rebuilding a rear end than just replacing parts - and that's true of ALL rear ends. There are precision settings for the bearing pre-loads and gear matching. Your best bet is to just pick up a used one and toss it in, intact. There was one for sale here a week or so ago for $50.

Aredubjay 12-03-2002 10:44 AM

May I suggest "Tucks" with a Preparation H, chaser.

(Sorry, somebody had to say it. May as well be me. :D:D:D)

Beav 12-03-2002 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

I guess good, clean living precludes me from knowing what you're suggesting.

sfsvx 12-03-2002 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav

I guess good, clean living precludes me from knowing what you're suggesting.

Most people in the car-fixin' business spend too much time on their feet and not enough on their butts to have to learn about what Randy's referring to.

Unlike people like Randy and me. :D

Aredubjay 12-03-2002 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dick Young

Most people in the car-fixin' business spend too much time on their feet and not enough on their butts to have to learn about what Randy's referring to.

Unlike people like Randy and me. :D

Exactly, Dick. Deejaying for 12.5 years for 4-5 hours at a shift, sitting on all colors and textures of Naugas, with the additional 4 hours of commercial production in questionalbly structured vinyl seating can be a real pain in the . . . 0h, never mind. You get the picture. :D:D:D

Meanwhile, Beav, I'm sure you'll want to try and sell me a bridge in Brooklyn, next time we meet, too. Clean living my eye. :D:D:D

CigarJohnny 12-03-2002 12:06 PM

Quote:

Dang you, Randy! You beat me to the punch line! :mad:

:D :D :D

cxt2001 12-03-2002 12:40 PM

FWD fuse

Can some one tell me what that fuse is good for and what it does exactly, because I opened that fuse box up and looked for the fuse and it was not in the spot.

cjoffe 12-03-2002 12:59 PM

FWD Fuse

Putting the fuse in prevents any power from being delivered to the rear wheels, but they driveshaft and rear diff still spin when you move. If you have a mechanical failure in the rear diff, this isn't going to help you. As far as I know, the fuse is not to be used for long periods. I'm not even sure you're supposed to drive (much) with it in.

CJ

Aredubjay 12-03-2002 02:14 PM

Re: FWD Fuse

Quote:

Originally posted by cjoffe
Putting the fuse in prevents any power from being delivered to the rear wheels, but they driveshaft and rear diff still spin when you move. If you have a mechanical failure in the rear diff, this isn't going to help you. As far as I know, the fuse is not to be used for long periods. I'm not even sure you're supposed to drive (much) with it in.

CJ

I drove just short of 10K miles with mine in. Of course, I was driving a Legacy auto-box connected to my SVX rear end. It had no adverse effects.

AutoTchr 12-03-2002 02:17 PM

Do you know for sure that the fire is comming from the differential??

cjoffe 12-03-2002 02:33 PM

Re: Re: FWD Fuse

Quote:

I drove just short of 10K miles with mine in. Of course, I was driving a Legacy auto-box connected to my SVX rear end. It had no adverse effects.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't claim to know for sure!!!:rolleyes: Someone on this board was talking about it and I made a mental note not to try it. I'm still not gonna try it. I'm just gonna use the slightest tranny misbehaviour to convince my wife that I need the 5spd NOW.:D :D

CJ

cxt2001 12-03-2002 03:08 PM

cjoffe, thanks for the info. Oh by the way where so u live in Marietta? Im from there also. And the fire was where all that stuff is like the rear diff. and all that, but when it blew up or whatever it did, it blew all this oil all over the back bumper. Im so mad about this whole deal. Would anyone know what kind of work and price would be involved in making it FWD only?; Because I really dont need all-wheel drive. I like it, but its just a extra to me.

cxt2001 12-03-2002 03:11 PM

What Im really getting at is.....Is it cheaper to make it FWD then to fix the AWD problem I have?