The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Converting non ABS "L" model to ABS (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53470)

1986nate 03-15-2010 09:57 PM

Converting non ABS "L" model to ABS

Is this remotely (fairly easily) possible and if so what all would be needed. I have a faint idea of possibly keeping the laguna I bought a month ago and if I were to do that I would want ABS and eventually would also probable make it an AWD but for now just wondering about the ABS system.

Now, I know the obvious stuff would be needed as the ABS pump, computer, master cylinder and booster and the extra hard lines to the pump. A lot of this stuff I already have from my 92 ebony that I parted out. Just trying to see if there is anything else that I would need and whether or not it would be worth the effort.. I tried searching but I don't think this has really ever been done as most people do the opposite to track the car or whatever.

Thanks in advance,:)
-Nate

Wikedjuggalo 03-15-2010 10:25 PM

Re: Converting non ABS "L" model to ABS

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 638417)
Is this remotely (fairly easily) possible and if so what all would be needed. I have a faint idea of possibly keeping the laguna I bought a month ago and if I were to do that I would want ABS and eventually would also probable make it an AWD but for now just wondering about the ABS system.

Now, I know the obvious stuff would be needed as the ABS pump, computer, master cylinder and booster and the extra hard lines to the pump. A lot of this stuff I already have from my 92 ebony that I parted out. Just trying to see if there is anything else that I would need and whether or not it would be worth the effort.. I tried searching but I don't think this has really ever been done as most people do the opposite to track the car or whatever.

Thanks in advance,:)
-Nate

You'd need the sensors in the wheels. Not sure how that wiring goes.

Mensaf 03-15-2010 10:27 PM

If you put this off till the summer, I'll give you my stuff. It may have been advanced for its day, but it's still ancient ABS. I want to pull mine and toss it.

1986nate 03-15-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mensaf (Post 638420)
If you put this off till the summer, I'll give you my stuff. It may have been advanced for its day, but it's still ancient ABS. I want to pull mine and toss it.

It would be waiting for awhile. My original plan for the car was replace the transmission, replace rusty doors and dented fender, paint on those parts with blending and then quickly turn around and sell it. But its only got 93k miles on it and around here, idiots tend to trash cars so thats why i now have this thought. And although the system may be old, it still works better than any other ABS system of any other car i've driven and had it kick in;)

so to add from my original post, i'd also need,
tone rings and speed sensors and all wiring for each wheel

NiftySVX 03-16-2010 04:53 PM

I have been toying with this for awhile now. The worst part of the whole deal would be the following things:

Adding the piping

Adding the wiring (the whole harness is different so far as I can tell)

Edit: To clarify, I mean the wire to the actuator unit, the relay box, the ecu, and the speed sensors. If you have a donor car this would probably be as simple as a removal of the dash and main engine bay harness, replacing it with the for-abs one, but remember if the donor is a 92 the wiring will be different because the cruise and etc are relocated with dual bags) so probably custom wiring work
Adding the sensor rotors, which would require R&R of the wheel bearings and of course their replacement as they will be destroyed in the removal.

I HATE that I have one of the very few made without ABS.
:(