The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ABS Pump Always On, Draining Battery.... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51321)

MiataMania 08-16-2009 01:35 PM

ABS Pump Always On, Draining Battery....

Car is a 95 AWD, WRX 5 speed trans, some aftermarket 18" wheels, Hawk HPS pads AFAIK. All other drivetrain and brake parts are stock to my knowledge.

Here is a very strange one.

The Anti-lock brake light came on Friday night coming home from work while cruising. No shenanigans. I didn't think much of it, brought her home, turned her off and the next morning the battery was completely dead.

Messed with a few things, jump started the car, it ran fine, ABS light was still on but I was trying to figure out what was going on with the battery so I put that on the back burner. Went to get gas, drove it for about 20 miles, brought her home. She sat for maybe 5-6 hours, battery completely dead again.

So I took it the Autozone thinking the ancient battery (5-6 years old now) might be toast, but it charged up and tested as 'good.' I bring the battery home, start plugging everything up and as I start to connect the ground, the battery arcs and the ABS pump cuts on ( it is pretty quiet, I couldn't hear it with the hood closed) and ran. So I pulled the 45 AMP fuse out from the engine bay for ABS and it stopped, the ABS light also went off on the dash...

It has been sitting for a few hours and that was the only apparent power drain on the system because it starts fine now.

So apparently my ABS Pump wants to run and run...any ideas why? Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam

NiftySVX 08-16-2009 02:34 PM

Re: ABS Pump Always On, Draining Battery....

It is most likely the relay sticking on. They had issues with them

bwb3 08-16-2009 02:55 PM

+1 on the relay. Sometimes just tapping on the ABS case will stop it from sticking, as in my case (thanks to another forum member). You can also run the ABS codes.
Gene

MiataMania 08-18-2009 10:27 PM

Thanks guys. I'll try smacking it a few times to see if it cuts off next time I have a spare moment.

svxash 08-19-2009 10:00 AM

Ours was doing the same thing about 3-4 years ago and I tapped on the ABS pump and it quit and hasn't come back since.

SVXalter 08-20-2009 12:18 AM

Interesting info...

My parts car won't start on its own and the previous owner said the ABS got fried from flood damage. The ABS light remains on when the car starts along with the power light blinking. The windows and sunroof don't work either... Other than that it seems fine. Oh yeah and it's missing 2nd and reverse :D