The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What is a power steering cooler? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47189)

crazyalligator 12-05-2008 04:24 PM

What is a power steering cooler?

Hello,

I just took my SVX to the local Midas for an oil change. I was told that I was leaking fluid from my transmission cooler and that it needed to be replaced. No big deal, I ordered one and was ready to have the work done. However, I checked my fluid level and it was fine. So, I checked my other fluids and found that the power steering resevoir was down. Knowing that it takes ATF I figured that the problem was mis-diagnosed and brought the car in expecting to need a hose or pump. However, I was told it was the power steering cooler that was leaking. They quoted me $99.63 plus labor for the part and installation. I authorized the work and have the car back in good shape. But now I am scratching my head as I cannot find any information on the SVX having such a thing as a power steering cooler. Can anyone enlighten me as to what it was that got replaced?

As always,

Thanks,
Gator

Crazy_pilot 12-05-2008 04:29 PM

Re: What is a power steering cooler?

The power steering cooler is a super simple thing on the SVX. It's a bare metal line bent into a long U shape, and sits between the radiator and the AC condensor.

crazyalligator 12-05-2008 04:33 PM

Thanks Pilot,

That helps me to understand it much better. But, I think I got taken on the pricing. Part: $99.63, Installation: $134.82, Flush: $119.95. Total: $354.40. Does this sound extreme?

Gator

Wikedjuggalo 12-05-2008 04:44 PM

Lol I think you can do it yourself for cheaper

Crazy_pilot 12-05-2008 04:50 PM

Subaruparts.com actually lists the cooler at $80, so with typical shop markup that's a price I would expect. The labour to change it can be more or less involved. They may have been able to remove the upper rad supports and pull the rad back enough to access the cooler, but they may have had to remove the rad completely for easier access. $135 would be about 1.5 hours of labour at typical shop rates here, which seems maybe a bit high if they didn't remove the rad, but not unreasonable. The flush charge I think is unnecessary. All the fluid would have drained out while the cooler was being replaced, and after that it's a simple matter to re-fill the system, no powered flush required.

And yes, like Wikedju........^^^him says, it's a fairly simple job to do yourself if you have some wrench time, maybe an afternoon worth of work. It's quite messy, as any job involving fluids. You could do it for the cost of the part and a couple quarts of Dexron III fluid.

b3lha 12-05-2008 05:49 PM

I had a leaking power steering cooler. There was a small hole caused by corrosion. I cut a patch from a copper water pipe and stuck it over the hole with some epoxy.

siceclipse 12-05-2008 06:00 PM

when doing front mounts on DSM's i usually take the cooler off and just loop the hose back to the pump.

You would be lucky if the temps ever got that high.

then again on the SVX the line runs under the exhaust manifold.
I would keep the cooler...

lol

NikFu S. 12-05-2008 06:41 PM

You could probably "design" a brand new cooler yourself for cheap.

siceclipse 12-05-2008 06:57 PM

now THAT we have done in the DSMs

One guy was out road racing and his PS would always overheat cause of the conditions while tracking the car.

so he bought a mini 2 row cooler and made a small bracket to keep it in place in the front bumper and never had the problem again.

TomsSVX 12-05-2008 10:46 PM

Using an external transmission cooler for the power steering would be a great idea. I had done away with my cooler when I tossed the a/c (bolts to the condenser). Since, I have experienced temp steering assist loss under heavy use at auto-X events... A cooler will help keep temps down and keep the assist working consistently

Tom