The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Puff of white smoke from engine when starting. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29085)

pipedream 10-21-2005 02:13 PM

Puff of white smoke from engine when starting.

So as the subject states-

I've noticed that when I start my car, there is this whiff / puff of white smoke that emanates from my engine. It's very slight and very whispy, not continueous, just like a.... puff, as i said, when starting the car.

At least, i believe it comes from the engine bay.

Oil or something leaking? Do these symptoms sound related to anything?

Car seems to run fine other wise.

THAWA 10-21-2005 07:46 PM

White = coolant.

Manarius 10-22-2005 09:26 AM

Headgasket I thinks...white smoke is typical when the headgasket is broke...

benebob 10-22-2005 09:29 AM

If it does it shortly and that's it (no power loss, overheating in traffic, etc) I'd say you might have a cracked head which allows coolant to leak down when she cools. No biggie, my XT6 has done that since I got it 50k ago and hasn't gotten much worse over that time.

pipedream 10-22-2005 03:03 PM

Is getting the head gasket fixed an expensive ordeal?

benebob 10-22-2005 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipedream
Is getting the head gasket fixed an expensive ordeal?

Like I said unless it is overheating I doubt its your head gasket. More than likely a cracked head. YES, both aren't cheap. Probably about $1000 all said and done (that's providing your head is fixable).

THAWA 10-22-2005 07:27 PM

It's probably NOT a cracked head. Cracking heads was a thing of EA engines. With an EJ engine you're going to blow a headgasket before you crack a head. That's not to say he has actually blown a headgasket. First confirm exactly where the smoke is coming from. Then you can diagnose it better, rather than just throwing parts at the car.

benebob 10-23-2005 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THAWA
It's probably NOT a cracked head. Cracking heads was a thing of EA engines. With an EJ engine you're going to blow a headgasket before you crack a head. That's not to say he has actually blown a headgasket. First confirm exactly where the smoke is coming from. Then you can diagnose it better, rather than just throwing parts at the car.

Hmmm??? Not sure where that is coming from. I know of plenty of EJs that suffer the same fate (not a single one had a head gasket go either). It has just taken 'em time to get there (just as it did with the 82).

THAWA 10-23-2005 06:15 PM

Cracked heads? I assume you've seen these cracks. What heads were they, and where were they cracking?

pnyklr 10-23-2005 10:57 PM

could it be valve seals?

benebob 10-24-2005 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THAWA
Cracked heads? I assume you've seen these cracks. What heads were they, and where were they cracking?

I could show you 10 tomorrow (one of which is on our race trailer) but really you still won't accept it happens and that from the symptoms he stated I'm probably right it just isn't worth my time.

huck369 10-24-2005 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnyklr
could it be valve seals?

That was my first thought too...

THAWA 10-24-2005 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
I could show you 10 tomorrow (one of which is on our race trailer) but really you still won't accept it happens and that from the symptoms he stated I'm probably right it just isn't worth my time.

I will and do accept it, just haven't heard much of it happening. I have no reason not to believe you. Anyway, where were the heads cracking, and what heads?

pipedream 10-25-2005 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369
That was my first thought too...

Someone who witnessed the puff of mysterious white smoke, mentioned something about valve seals as well....

From re-examination, it looks like the smoke is indeed coming from my tail pipes though, and NOT the engine.

So this just means there was some unburnt gas or something that as burnt up as i turned the ignition on from flooring it all around town the previous night...?

THAWA 10-25-2005 07:26 PM

It's most likely not fuel, fuel is black when burnt, coolant is white. If the smoke is actually white, then as has been said you've got coolant in your combustion chamber.

Also wouldn't valve seals cause oil leakage? so the smoke would be blue right?