The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   One More Question re: Oil Change (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10635)

fredrobbins 05-09-2003 02:40 PM

One More Question re: Oil Change

I know the car sits low, and I've read most of the posts on this subject... but I'm going to change my own oil. Questions to all who have done this:
1. After removing the plastic undertray, where is the best
place to lie to reach the drain plug?
2. Would it be worth taking the RF wheel off? I don't particularly want to jack the car up, as I want the most complete drain of old oil.

I've got a creeper, and can roll around a bit, but it's pretty tight clearance under the engine! Sorry for a question that's probably been asked a dozen times...but I thought I'd look for tips before jumping in to this job.

Thanks for any helpful advice!

Fred R.

svx_commuter 05-09-2003 02:49 PM

I drive both front wheels up onto 2" thick lumber, two 2X6's under each tire work. That is about the minimum height for my oil pan and reaching under to get the back bolt on the under cover. 6x6's also work well. The oil pan plug is on the passenger side and I just "lie" (See if LarryIII finds this one. :D ) on the ground on my side with a 17mm socket on a braker (or this one :D) bar and lossen the plug.

ensteele 05-09-2003 02:51 PM

Did someone mention bar?:)

fredrobbins 05-09-2003 03:35 PM

SVX_Commuter,

Thanks! I'll rig a couple pieces of 2x lumber and drive up.
Good advice, and that'll help!

Fred R.

Earthworm 05-09-2003 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
The oil pan plug is on the passenger side and I just "lie" (See if LarryIII finds this one. :D ) on the ground on my side with a 17mm socket on a braker (or this one :D) bar and lossen the plug.
lossen?? :p

Looks like you missed one :D

fredrobbins 05-09-2003 03:47 PM

Liten up!:D Ooops!! Lighten up.

Commuter might hit you with a breaker bar...or braker bar?

svx_commuter 05-09-2003 03:48 PM

Easy for me to miss. I can't wait for LarryIII to show up.

svx_commuter 05-09-2003 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by fredrobbins
SVX_Commuter,

Thanks! I'll rig a couple pieces of 2x lumber and drive up.
Good advice, and that'll help!

Fred R.

When I want to get under the car I use the 6x6's and make a short ramp oh about 12" long, one for each tire and drive the car up. :D It's just the right height for engine work.

ensteele 05-09-2003 04:45 PM

I do the same thing. A short ramp works great for that. I also use a ramp to wax below the rear bumper. :)

benebob 05-09-2003 06:37 PM

Oil change

The plastic ramps they sell at Pepboys will work for the SVX. Not a whole lot of spare room and you can't bounce it when you get off but if you're planning on doing a lot of your own mant. it is a good somewhat cheap way to go. Oil changes are easy with a 2x6 or 2 but for dif oil changes and ATF changes you need a little more height.

Bobb 05-09-2003 07:42 PM

Oil Change

Hi everyone, After crawling around on the garage floor for thirty years, I decided to stop that. I go to my local Subaru dealer with my own oil and filter. He charges about the same as the quick oil change places. I also get to schmooz with the service Mgr. and parts guy. Makes for an all around fun day. Take care everyone, BOBB

ensteele 05-10-2003 10:41 AM

That sounds like a good idea. Especially when it is bad weather or too cold out. :)

I'm starting to train my son how to do this, and that way I don't have to crawl around under the car. I still have to do most of the work right now, but I am investing in the future. (in more ways than one) ;)

svx_commuter 05-10-2003 05:36 PM

Re: Oil change

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob
The plastic ramps they sell at Pepboys will work for the SVX. Not a whole lot of spare room and you can't bounce it when you get off but if you're planning on doing a lot of your own mant. it is a good somewhat cheap way to go. Oil changes are easy with a 2x6 or 2 but for dif oil changes and ATF changes you need a little more height.
Jacks and jack stands are the only way, unless you got a lift.;)