The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Head Light Cleaner Has any one tried it? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42730)

svx_commuter 01-11-2008 11:52 AM

Head Light Cleaner Has any one tried it?

This is a supplier of what is supposed to be a really good plastic headlight cleaner. Well any way that's what the web site says...... The price seems good at $20 and they say no sanding is required and have a UV protectant top layer. It may just be worth it. I can't find the directions for how to use this stuff and no phone number listed on the web site or in the yellow pages.
It is nice to have white light on the road instead of yellow. Me? I just cleaned mine last weekend with sand paper (1500 & 2000 wet) and NOVus. Now they look great!
The sand paper takes out a lot of scratches. Any body try clear coat paint spray on the plastic? That has to have UV protectants. Right?

http://www.mdwholesale.com/

It's Just Eric 01-11-2008 12:27 PM

Ive seen headlights that appear to have been clear coated with ACTUAL clear coat, not the crap that comes in a can.

They were yellow too

Landshark 01-11-2008 12:44 PM

1. clean them real good with Novus or 3M plastic cleaner/polish

2. clean them regularly, so they don't get that nasty again

3. enjoy some delicious pancakes

dumpstafresh 01-11-2008 01:33 PM

i use to use a rubbing compound. like 800 grit or something like that just to get rid of the yellow. then use Mothers plastic polish, works great. i even did research and they say thats the stuff to use.

Crazy_pilot 01-11-2008 04:44 PM

I used a kit WalMart sells. It comes with 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 grit sandpaper, which you use wet, and a rubbing compound. It was easily enough to do my headlights and waterfall grille. The initial results were good, but once I got used to it I could easily pick out flaws. That might be just deeper damage to the lenses though. I haven't noticed any yellow coming back since (~5+ months), but the headlights are hazy and dull.

Ricochet 01-11-2008 05:14 PM

nothing works. You can scrub your ass off but they'll always turn back to yellow after a couple months. Just buy the clear lense kit.

94SubieSVX 01-11-2008 05:24 PM

I just use turtle wax polishing compound a couple times. Then some Meguiers Plast-x and they haven't turned yellow yet.

SubaRyu 01-11-2008 07:16 PM

Don't forget the back side of the lens. After polishing mine, it got better, but still not like new. It was from back side.
You can't really do so much of it unless you remove the lens.

Its the best to buy new ones if you are looking for the perfect look. It's just $$$.
Polishing can achieve half way decent look but not perfect.

I cut and remove the old lens since I got the clear lens. See the link below..
My Old Lens

94SubieSVX 01-11-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaRyu (Post 520691)
Don't forget the back side of the lens. After polishing mine, it got better, but still not like new. It was from back side.
You can't really do so much of it unless you remove the lens.

Its the best to buy new ones if you are looking for the perfect look. It's just $$$.
Polishing can achieve half way decent look but not perfect.

I cut and remove the old lens since I got the clear lens. See the link below..
My Old Lens

Yeah most of the yellow-ness happens inside the headlight.

BTW Ryu, I looked through your album and that Bordeaux is in pristine condition! Makes me want a repaint even more now:)

Landshark 01-11-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet (Post 520660)
nothing works. You can scrub your ass off but they'll always turn back to yellow after a couple months. Just buy the clear lense kit.

that's the route i went. :)

SubaRyu 01-12-2008 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX (Post 520719)
Yeah most of the yellow-ness happens inside the headlight.

BTW Ryu, I looked through your album and that Bordeaux is in pristine condition! Makes me want a repaint even more now:)

Hehe thanks, but actually it's kinda in bad condition. I took pix in a way so that you won't see so much flaws...:o

Dimples, scuffs and fadings..... this one really needs repainting!

dumpstafresh 01-14-2008 01:24 PM

I sell a cleaner called formula 420 at my work, its for cleanind plastic bongs. and it works realy well. you just squirt some in there and shake it and it cleans them.

if you poped out your headlights and shook that stuff in there i bet it would work. or just use strong rubbing alcohol and salt, or rice if salt wont work.

I also have the clear headlight kit. they do look nice, yet i dont think i'd pay $150 just to have to destroy my original headlights. and glue two pieces of plastic on them.

ensteele 01-14-2008 02:35 PM

I still like the stock headlights better than the clear headlight kit. There are ribs and other things in them that were meant to be instead of just clear plastic. :o

94SubieSVX 01-14-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 521208)
I still like the stock headlights better than the clear headlight kit. There are ribs and other things in them that were meant to be instead of just clear plastic. :o

But ribbed plastic lights is so 10 years ago:rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

Nevin 01-14-2008 09:28 PM

We used to use Mother's PlastiX on all of our customers cars. We now just use a good rubbing compound and then a couple coats of wax. The plastiX stuff just isn't worth the hassle, and it's still a good idea to wax after that anyways.

Basically they try to make it a one-step process, but to do it right, you need to separate the cleaning and the protecting. CLean first (rubbing compound) then protect. (wax) Do this everytime you wax your car and they will stay clear and bright for a good long while.

Unfortunately, a good amount of damage also occurs inside the light housing. The best thing to do once you get this much damage is to just replace the lense/housing. Cleaning them is fine for a while but with all the heat created by the light itself, it causes advanced degradation over time.