The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cost for a new auto transmission (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33024)

DanSVX94 05-02-2006 01:13 PM

Cost for a new auto transmission

How much should it cost to have a Subaru dealer install a new transmission? I called one place and they told me 3,500 installed for a rebuilt one from Subaru, and that it comes with a 2yr/24,000 mile warranty. They said it would be about an extra 200 or so to include a transmission fluid cooler.

I'm new here, but I remember seeing that there's someone in NJ who does a variety of SVX work on this site.

Earthworm 05-02-2006 01:41 PM

That's about the normal. There are members here that will install a used tranny for less though. Installing trannies with 4.44 gears has become somewhat popular lately.

It's Just Eric 05-02-2006 01:50 PM

Both Tom's SVX and AvPPoW do work on svxi.
Tom has done more than enough work to qualify him for not only transmissions, but engine reseals, cams, ect.
AvPPoW Also does really good work. He is quite experianced mainly with transmission swaps, though I cant say about cam installs, ect.
Both do really high quality work, as Ive not only seen but helped both. Heres a link to each thread with prices and explaining labor rates...
AvPPoW's thread
Tom'sSVX's thread

Manarius 05-02-2006 04:32 PM

The cost is more than a 5MT swap. If you really don't want a 5MT, get a 4.44 from an outback and that will still be less than a new 4EAT from Subaru.

My vote though would be to get away from the Autospastic as soon as possible.

dannmarr 05-02-2006 08:28 PM

Lee myles charged me $3000, that included the rebuilt trans, a trans cooler with filter and a rebuilt front differential, and
a 1yr/12k warranty.

WGJ 05-02-2006 08:37 PM

Where Are You?

That's a pretty good sounding deal depending upon geographic location. Seems to be a wide price range for tranny rebuilds.
WGJ

dannmarr 05-02-2006 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The shop is located in Mt. Poconos, PA on route 611. The owner is Bryan.
Here is the break down of work performed;
internal inspection, remove-rebuild-install, assembly kit, exchange torque convertor, recondition geartrain, solenoid assembly, v-body recalibrt kit, ATF, filter, side carrier bearings, pinion bearing, trans cooler with filter. The finance is 0% for 3 months, 1 year-12,000 mile warranty. Total with tax; 3K. He also spot welded the screws in place so they won't loosen up again on the new piece.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean486 05-03-2006 10:09 AM

Before I sold sold mine I had one rebuild that cost $3050 with a 12,000 mile 12month warranty. I had it done in the most highly regarded reputable shop in the area so I figured I probably paid a little more. They also put in a transmission cooler and replaced a broken transmission mount.

If I had it to do over again I would have just put in a used transmission, which seemed pretty easy to find, but at the time I had planned on keeping the car for a long time and I figured; piece of mind. Only what ended up happening is that, that the repair cleaned me out and I no longer had money for all the other repairs that a 10 year old requires.:rolleyes: Sob, Sob.

Anyhow that's my 2 cents.