The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   wheel barings (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31537)

SvXchica 02-14-2006 12:31 PM

wheel barings

Ok, so. I need to get mine fixed, how much do ya'll think that will run me? And what excatly is going to happen to them? My car sounds like a rocket ship... haha. Anyway, I know its the wheel barings... so get back to me. thanks ya'll
-Kat

Earthworm 02-14-2006 12:49 PM

Replace them yourself...about $100
Dealership will probably charge $300/side.

mohrds 02-14-2006 01:14 PM

What he said.

About $300-$400 per side is pretty typical.

The parts themselves are about $50/side.

SvXchica 02-14-2006 01:21 PM

is that all together or just on one wheel? b/c my two rear ones need them. and i have no idea how to fix them. a friend was supposed to help me but hasnt... haha. anyway. so suggestions?

mohrds 02-14-2006 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvXchica
is that all together or just on one wheel? b/c my two rear ones need them. and i have no idea how to fix them. a friend was supposed to help me but hasnt... haha. anyway. so suggestions?

It will be $600-800 for both rears at a dealer.

Do you have access to a hub tamer, good wrenches, etc.? What is your mechanical ability? A few of us on here forget that not everyone has taken their SVX apart and put it back together more than once. :eek:

Doug

SvXchica 02-14-2006 05:23 PM

gaaaah i cant afford that. hopefully my friend will help me out

SomethingElse 02-14-2006 07:05 PM

bearings

no offense but I wouldnt let your friend do them if he hasnt done any or he is not guided by someone who has done them before.Torque specs are critical.I just bought some from the dealer and i work at a dealer so i get a discount but i still paid 90 bux a side for both inner and outer seals, axle nut, and bearing...by the way dont repack them. they come prepacked. unfortunatly there really isnt a cheap way out of them:(

mohrds 02-15-2006 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kulaid
...by the way dont repack them. they come prepacked.

You are likely to get a lot of debate on that one. That has been a discussion since before this board existed. Cleaning and repacking the new bearings with a high temperature grease will substantially improve their service life. The factory grease is very thin with a relativly low thermal breakdown temp.

Doug

mbtoloczko 02-15-2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohrds
You are likely to get a lot of debate on that one. ...

Doug

Ya think? :-) I'm with Doug on the quality of the grease the bearings come packed in. I spent about a week researching wheel bearing grease trying to find the ultimate grease. I didn't want to have to do the rear wheel bearings twice.

Tim 02-16-2006 07:03 AM

I have a hub tamer and I still wont do it myself...

Which is why I loaned it to tom for him to it FOR me. Even with the cost of the hub tamer included... it was still cheaper to pay tom to do it than the dealer :)

We also had the debate of the repacked grease vs. shipping grease...

I was set on repacking :)

Tim- 800 miles and still quiet bearings :)

mohrds 02-16-2006 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
I spent about a week researching wheel bearing grease trying to find the ultimate grease.

Don't keep us in suspense :mad:

What is the ultimate grease???

Tim 02-16-2006 07:55 AM

Quote:

Elbow...:p just kidding....

Despite the grease you use, is it normal for it to turn black? Like my bearings that were done 3 years ago were packed with a red high temp grease and when they were done a few weeks ago, the grease was a dark black.

AvPPoW 02-16-2006 08:12 AM

I've done one, and I'll be doing two more when I go to get my other car on the road. Apparently the hub tamer makes it pretty easy but I just used a hydraulic press. It wasn't too bad, but it's one of those things where if you don't have the right tools it wont happen. If your inexperienced, take it to the dealer or a local mechanic you know and trust.

mbtoloczko 02-16-2006 09:48 AM

Quote:

Back then, I decided on a brand called Magnalube-G (search on the net). Its a teflon impregnated grease. The wear test data on it looked great. I've learned quite a bit about teflon more recently though, and I'd be less likely to choose it now because teflon is not so great under extreme pressure conditions. There is a new lubricant under development that mixes teflon with hexagonal boron-nitride. Hexagonal BN has good extreme pressure properties, and the two together should make a great grease. Just need someone to sell it.

Follow up: I did a little more searching just now, and for what is presently available, the Amsoil Series 2000 Racing Grease has slightly better published wear properties than the Magnalube.

Tim 02-16-2006 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Back then, I decided on a brand called Magnalube-G (search on the net). Its a teflon impregnated grease. The wear test data on it looked great. I've learned quite a bit about teflon more recently though, and I'd be less likely to choose it now because teflon is not so great under extreme pressure conditions. There is a new lubricant under development that mixes teflon with hexagonal boron-nitride. Hexagonal BN has good extreme pressure properties, and the two together should make a great grease. Just need someone to sell it.

Follow up: I did a little more searching just now, and the Amsoil Series 2000 Racing Grease has slightly better properties than the Magnalube.

This magnalube sounds like its for more than wheel bearings :p