The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   windshield spray nozzle leak (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=452)

htyei 05-20-2001 06:20 AM

windshield spray nozzle leak

Is this something we SVX men have to live with or is there a fix?

I am talking about the leak from our windshield spray nozzles.
There always seems to be residue thats dried up leading from the nozzles.

wasions 05-20-2001 12:02 PM

I can't get mine to actually spray 'on' the window.

:mad: and neither can the dealer. My paint is sorta funny-looking around those nozzles, too.
Any answers? Like maybe a retrofit from a different car?
Steve

Aredubjay 05-20-2001 12:13 PM

Hmmm. I have neither of those problems. The nozzles are of an "eyeball" construction, and should be "aimable" by using s thin piece of wire or a needle. Perhaps you should remove them (they're easily removed with the little "slide clip" on the underside of the hood. Henry's problem may be with a loose slide clip. Pull them, press them together with a pair of pliars (to tighten them) then, re-install. Of course, it may be the small rubber gaskets around the nozzles themselves have worn away. Steve, I will surmise that you've been hit by the old "housewife's problem," that being "nasty wax buildup." Remove the nozzles and spray them down with some WD-40 and begin working them with a piece of wire, or a needle until they break loose. Re-install and aim them. I don't mean to be synical, but, it doesn't surprise me that the dealership said they "couldn't" aim them. I'll try to scan the pages of the manual today, in between trying to scan some photos for my family seeking genealogy information. :)

eddycat2000 05-20-2001 12:49 PM

Advertising biz??

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
pliars ...synical. I'll try to scan the pages of the manual today, in between trying to scan some photos for my family seeking genealogy information. :)
Hiya Aredub! Do pliars equal *pliers*? I'm getting mighty cynical (synical) when it comes to yer posts:p

Shouldn't take ya too long to do them scans, I hear there ain't no branches on the family trees down there in Ken-tuck-ee! HHHHeeehehheeeeee!!:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist! You know yer my tater shakin' bud!

jscorse 05-21-2001 10:43 AM

Eyeballs

<<The nozzles are of an "eyeball" construction, and should be "aimable" by using s thin piece of wire or a needle>>

I cleaned the wax outta mine by removing the eyeballs. An icepick did the trick. I was using the icepick to aim the little metal nozzle when I realized that that can also be removed by twisting them a little further. They just pop out. DON'T LOOSE THEM!

After they where out I ran the pump and cleaned out the plastic nozzle 'holder' (the thing on the hood) then popped the nozzles (er, eye balls) back in and aimed using the ice pick method.

They work great now!

Aredubjay 05-21-2001 11:43 AM

Re: Advertising biz??

Quote:

Originally posted by eddycat2000

Hiya Aredub! Do pliars equal *pliers*? I'm getting mighty cynical (synical) when it comes to yer posts:p

Shouldn't take ya too long to do them scans, I hear there ain't no branches on the family trees down there in Ken-tuck-ee! HHHHeeehehheeeeee!!:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist! You know yer my tater shakin' bud!

Okay, sometimes I get comfortable and don't pay attention. Especially when I revert to "redneck shadetree journeyperson mechanic." At least I didn't call 'em "war plars" as originally taught by my relatives on the family twig. :D