The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Body Modifications (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   butterfly hinges (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37716)

min 03-02-2007 05:14 PM

butterfly hinges

ok. so got the svx running great. was going to sell, but now my son wants butterfly hinged doors. has anyone ever done this?? :D

Mr.Pwrlite 03-02-2007 06:07 PM

Butterfly, Lamborgini style, whatever you want to call it... I done it, but its not easy or cheap. Theres no kit out there for the SVX that I know of.

min 03-02-2007 07:22 PM

wow

WOW! that is so cool. i can see why my son wants that. expensive, huh?

svxcess 03-02-2007 08:06 PM

"Scissor", "vertical" and "lambo" doors are all the same. They pivot forward and up.

"Butterfly" doors are different. They rotate up and over as they move forward. Kind of a mix between the vertical door and the gull-wing.

Butterfly doors can be found on the McLaren F1 and the Saleen S-7

sicksubie 03-02-2007 08:12 PM

pwrlite, what did that cost?

ensteele 03-02-2007 08:38 PM

They look good. Let us know how you did it and what the cost it. :) :)

Mr.Pwrlite 03-03-2007 12:52 PM

Well cost of the hinges depends on where you go. The quality of the hinges also depends on where you get them. My kit cost me $1500, and there were still parts that needed to be adapted. I have welding experience so I saved $$ in the additional fabrication.

The whole project lasted 6 days, basically 4 days working on it after work, and 2 weekend days. The critical measurements are taken from the existing door hinge bolt pattern length, meaning the distance from the top bolt hole to the bottom hole in the door and chassis.

The door length and weight is next to be considered, for the position of the lift shock. The shocks that work best in my hinges are 850lbs(trial and error), that's the lift capability.

The funny thing is, if I were to do this again I couldn't guarantee that it would turn out the same..., who knows maybe better:rolleyes: All I know is there's a lot of fitting, cutting of steel and sheet metal, grinding, welding, and wires that have to be extended.

It also took much determination. But in the end....:cool:

...And yes this conversion is typically called: Lambo doors, Vertical doors(VDC), or Scissor doors. Other conversions have different hinge points that give a different door opening effect.

Good luck to all who try it.

black beast 03-03-2007 01:18 PM

Guys, this is why I joined a car club where one of the members owns a machine shop... He said he would make me up a kit for his cost... $300!
I am getting them in june. After I get them in I will tell you how they went and maybe I can get you guys a at cost + little over from him... ok?

min 03-03-2007 01:36 PM

$300

please let me know how it goes. 300 sounds a lot better than 1500, although i do realize how important doors are. :)

Suby Fan 03-04-2007 12:52 PM

i'm going to be doing this conversion in the summer there is a bit of a how to write up in this fourm somewhere just search for it...

It's Just Eric 03-04-2007 06:40 PM

please, for the love of god, consider that you get what you pay for. I did bodywork on an eclipse that had the most half asses lambo door hinges on it. He had to cut away some of the fender supports, and in the end he got doors that opened out, bounced off the fenders, then went up...On the way down, theyd drop too far and the door would hit the striker...the doors never closed right, not to mention it ripped off the door molding and crappy side skirts he had on the car. A 1500% kit rather than a 300 dollar kit is probly the way to go.

Personally, I think vertical doors look kinda cool... untill you're in a parking garage and have to squeeze out from under your door, or your car flips upsidedown and catches on fire *NWS link, extreamly graphic images*

sicksubie 03-04-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
please, for the love of god, consider that you get what you pay for. I did bodywork on an eclipse that had the most half asses lambo door hinges on it. He had to cut away some of the fender supports, and in the end he got doors that opened out, bounced off the fenders, then went up...On the way down, theyd drop too far and the door would hit the striker...the doors never closed right, not to mention it ripped off the door molding and crappy side skirts he had on the car. A 1500% kit rather than a 300 dollar kit is probly the way to go.

Personally, I think vertical doors look kinda cool... untill you're in a parking garage, or your car flips upsidedown and catches on fire *NWS link, extreamly graphic images*

Unfortunately this is not the only accident of it's kind...
You could never get me to do this to any car period. What is the point? If your car is going to be competing in shows then fine, but otherwise it is a waste of money and you must be an individual that simply craves attention. If you can't drive a SVX that gets plenty of attention without lambo doors as it is then I don't know what to tell you.

P.S. take the 1500 for the kit and the probably additional 1500 in other body work involved and get cams, an exhaust, Koni/GC suspension, and some decent rims and good tires. You will have a far more impressive car if you do.

michael 03-04-2007 08:09 PM

????????????????

min 03-06-2007 10:14 AM

nevermind

Ok. Nevermind. All I can see when I look at those pics is my son. NO WAY! He can find better ways to spend his money.

CigarJohnny 03-06-2007 03:00 PM

I never thought of flipping the car on it's roof. I thought it would be cool until I saw those pics. I'll pass.

BTW...did anyone else think the gal talking to the fireman was pretty hot? :D Hope she wasn't related to the Lambo driver. :(

-Johnny (it's ok, I know I'm a pig)