The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   a noob with some technical questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31982)

Iceman59718 03-09-2006 05:40 AM

a noob with some technical questions

Hello Everyone.

I just picked up my 92 SVX this weekend in Seattle. It was rather high mileage (182k), but the fact that it was a 5 speed and in the right price range made it hard to pass up. I think I've wanted one of these cars since the first time I figured out what it is. I decided to buy and SVX after my recent move to Bozeman, Montana left me needing a 4 wheel drive, but still wanting a sports car. What better to satisfy both than an SVX. There are a couple issues with the car that I had questions about. Veterans please don't flame me for not searching. I did search, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

My first question is for those of you with the 5 speed conversion. The guy I got the car from had the conversion done at Small Car in 2004 and they installed an '01 WRX transmission. I was wondering if the shifting is supposed to have a rather notchy feel. I've driven many 5 speeds, but I none that really felt like this. I guess notchy is the best way I can describe it. Also, is it normal to hear a lot of gear whine in 5th gear with these transmissions? Does this conversion cause the ABS light to stay on? The next area of concern is with my power steering. It is rather difficult to steer and the steering light is on the dash cluster. I've given it a basic look and noticed it was pushing some fluid out the top of the resevoir. I replaced the o-ring, but it made no difference. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

-Dave

svxcuseme 03-09-2006 07:34 AM

There is plenty of discussion on this subject on NASIOC.

My 02 WRx 5mt is only knotchy going into 4th at over 4000rpm. Otherwise, it is smooth. I occasionally hear a brief whine in 4th. It only lasts for a second and only happens on acceleration.

I have noticed some resistance going into 1st and 2nd lately. I have'nt had a chance to try the Subaru dealers recommendation on Gear oil, GM syncromesh.

My ABS light is not on.

Do you have PS fluid leaks, behind engine on passenger side? You could have a leaky high pressure hose of one of the low pressure houses could be old an brittle casuing fluid leak.

Iceman59718 03-09-2006 09:33 AM

Thanks for replying svxcuseme. I'm not familiar with NASIOC. I did check over the power steering system and there are no leaks and all the hoses seem to be fine. Does this sound like a bad power steering pump or something with the steering rack? Would a bad power steering pump cause the steering light to come on?

Earthworm 03-09-2006 11:54 AM

Welcome to the site!

Believe it or not you can actually check error codes for the power steering system.

Go to the SVXipedia on http://svx-iw.com and to the codes section. Tell us which codes you get.

ensteele 03-09-2006 06:49 PM

Who did you buy the car from? Welcome to the site. I am sorry, but I can't say much good about Smallcar and their conversion. :( Good luck with it. :)

Iceman59718 03-10-2006 06:26 AM

Thanks for the tip earthworm. I checked out some of the information on SVXipedia and a lot of the information was useful, but not all of it seems to be accurate or is misisng some information. I wasn't sure which connector they meant to plug the blue wire into pin 6. Is is the smaller of the two black connectors? I also tried to follow the walkthrough to troubleshoot my ABS light being on, but I couldn't find the ABS control module anywhere under the passenger seat. Hi ensteele, I got the car from a guy named Marvin who lives in Seattle. I don't think he is in any of these groups because I mentioned that I would probably join some SVX forums if I bought the car and he didn't comment about being a member on this one or the Yahoo group. As far as the transmission is concerned I think I will drain out the old fluid and when I replace it with new I will add a quart of synthetic gear oil. Perhaps that will take away some of the notchiness. Thanks again for your help everyone. I learned the value of these forums when I purchased my old 200sx turbo a few years back. It's cool to see that even with all our fast paced lives we can stil come together to help each other out. Anyway, I suppose I better get back to work.

dcarrb 03-10-2006 07:58 AM

Greetings, Iceman, and good luck with your troubleshooting. Could be the fluid being pushed out of the PS pump is unrelated to the fault code and simply results from it being overfilled. Check the gradations on the dipstick. (I know this from messy experience.)

dcb

Earthworm 03-10-2006 10:24 AM

Iceman, if you have any problems with any of the articles in the SVXipedia just use the feedback form on those pages and I'll make the necessary updates.

n00b on demand 03-10-2006 10:46 AM

oops sorry...saw the word n00b and thought it was a thread for me...ill just go back to reading threads :D

SSSVX 03-10-2006 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b on demand
oops sorry...saw the word n00b and thought it was a thread for me...ill just go back to reading threads :D

you can also post a thread with the "n00b" word in. :D

Welcome to the site.

I don't have a 5 spd svx but I don't think the problems you have are related to the 5 spd conversion. Do a search on the "steering", there's a thread having a trick, (cleaning up the U-joint) would solve the steering turn difficulties for some people.