The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   No windows, sunroof or seat power (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60012)

Blacky 06-09-2012 02:58 PM

No windows, sunroof or seat power

My wife drove the '97 to work last night and when she got back I noticed the power seat, windows and sunroof would not move.
I checked the fuse box and nothing is labelled for these items. I tried swapping all the large SBF fuses under the hood and no results. Any idea where to look?

Thanks

odepaj 06-09-2012 04:08 PM

Re: No windows, sunroof or seat power

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 706101)
My wife drove the '97 to work last night and when she got back I noticed the power seat, windows and sunroof would not move.
I checked the fuse box and nothing is labelled for these items. I tried swapping all the large SBF fuses under the hood and no results. Any idea where to look?

Thanks

Do you hear any buzzing noises while pressing the switches?

There are some relays under the drivers seat that tend to go bad, I'd look there first. Mainly you'll be interested in the one that is bolted to the floor near a slit in the carpet

1986nate 06-09-2012 08:54 PM

Yep, main relay under the carpet under the driver seat. I'll be willing to bet the wiring going to it is in very poor shape thanks to the snow/slush being dragged in during winter months.;)

Blacky 06-10-2012 11:20 AM

No buzzing sounds. It's going to be a real PITA to work on because my wife is 5ft tall and the seat is all the way forward. Why couldn't it have failed with the seat in my position, I'm 6'1".

1986nate 06-10-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 706148)
No buzzing sounds. It's going to be a real PITA to work on because my wife is 5ft tall and the seat is all the way forward. Why couldn't it have failed with the seat in my position, I'm 6'1".

Take out the seat. And be glad it's all the way forward as the front 2 bolts are still easy to get to with an extension. The rear bolts are a real PITA if it's stuck all the way back.;)

Blacky 06-20-2012 07:39 PM

Well. you were right Nate. The wires going to the smaller rear facing relay had rotted right out of the connector. I had to grab a connector from my parts car and solder it in. It's strange that the '92s wires were in better shape than the '97 even though it came from Montreal which is salt central.
Thanks to both of you for your quick diagnosis.
Tomorrow I tackle the window lock sleeve on the '92 Ebony which broke over a year ago. Should be a piece of cake with the How To PDF.

Oh ya, you know how there's also a lot of weird stuff when you take out the seats. There was a dead cicada about 3inches long under there.

odepaj 06-20-2012 07:46 PM

Kinda strange that this thread randomly popped into my head today :lol:

Good to see you got the problem fixed and glad that I could help!

1986nate 06-20-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 706850)
Well. you were right Nate. The wires going to the smaller rear facing relay had rotted right out of the connector. I had to grab a connector from my parts car and solder it in. It's strange that the '92s wires were in better shape than the '97 even though it came from Montreal which is salt central.
Thanks to both of you for your quick diagnosis.
Tomorrow I tackle the window lock sleeve on the '92 Ebony which broke over a year ago. Should be a piece of cake with the How To PDF.

Oh ya, you know how there's also a lot of weird stuff when you take out the seats. There was a dead cicada about 3inches long under there.

Mmmmm, tasty!!!!:lol::lol:

Glad to help. It's always nice when you know exactly what to look for.

Blacky 06-24-2012 09:57 AM

Window lock sleeve was a ten minute job. Wish I'd done it last year. Procrastination is a curse.

Green1995SVX 06-24-2012 12:44 PM

When this happened in my 95 SVX, the wires were totally destroyed. I had to run a new fused positive wire to the relay as there was literally nothing left of the original power wire.