The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Water Power (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33204)

Andy 05-14-2006 02:30 PM

Water Power

To good to be true?

LINKEY

Suby Fan 05-14-2006 06:02 PM

hummm the only problem with that is where is the energy coming from to convert the water in to HHO gas to run in the car? the engine?

Weebitob 05-14-2006 06:54 PM

Either the engine is a traditional natural gas with pre-converted HHO gas in the tank or they put their special electrolysis machine in the trunk attached to a water tank with the HHO being fed straight to the engine.

However, 100 miles on 4 ounces I would figure a compound like that would burn a whole lot faster unless it is being injected into the engine in really slow intervals. I wonder if they evered dynoed it or released the results on what its hp rating and lbs of torque it exerts?

And another thing, I wonder how this technology would impact humanity as well as the entire enviroment in the distant future if used on a large scale? :p

Electrophil 05-14-2006 08:39 PM

I really want to believe this. But it just falls too close to that too good to be true category. Where is the conversion process? How much electricity does this technology use?

Please be a reliable source of energy, and the ability to use tap water.

Weebitob 05-14-2006 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrophil
I really want to believe this. But it just falls too close to that too good to be true category. Where is the conversion process? How much electricity does this technology use?

Please be a reliable source of energy, and the ability to use tap water.

I am not so sure about reliability but what I am sure of is it probably uses highly filtered water in order to avoid impurities that. But I wonder if Heavy Water is more effective or would isotopes not disimilate into hydrogen quick enough to be effect. So can anyone read this on Heavy Water and tell me if you can get hydrogen as a result of breaking down Deuterium, ecspecially look under Fractional Distilation?

Electrophil 05-14-2006 10:08 PM

The biggest thing I got from that article, (besides the pop ups.:D ) is in the last 3 paragraphs. Only 5 countries have plants that produce heavy water, some of those have closed down, and the most popular way of producing it is similar to the way brandy is distilled from wine.

Sounds like it would be extremely expensive, and the article also says it is a "controlled" product, so the availability to us common folks isn't going to happen without the re-emergence of a Waco scenario. :eek: (Behold! I have 3 underaged wives and a quart of heavy water. I summon thee to carpool in my hybrid! :) )

Informative! It also makes me think about all those camping brochures that says to boil water excessively before drinking.

Suby Fan 05-14-2006 11:28 PM

another thing is hasent HHO all ready been proven impratical?

NikFu S. 05-14-2006 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suby Fan
another thing is hasent HHO all ready been proven impratical?

No, it just hasn't proven practical. :)

b3lha 05-15-2006 02:06 AM

I am not a chemist, but I don't see any advantage in using heavy water for this application. A given mass of heavy water would contain less hydrogen atoms than the same mass of ordinary water.

Regarding water as a fuel, it is undoubtedly the best way to go, but there are two problems:

Firstly, separating the hydrogen and oxygen requires a lot of energy - more energy than you will get back from burning it (due to less than 100% efficiency). This is why car manufacturers are researching fuel cells which use the water more efficiently than combustion engines.

Secondly, the economic reason. Any companies that develop this technology will ensure that you will never be able to fill up your car up from your garden hose. If and when water powered cars are available, they will make sure that you have to buy special water at premium prices.

100 miles in 4 ounces doesn't sound right. According to a google search, Hydrogen contains 2.8 times as much energy as gasoline. But water is only 11.2% hydrogen by mass. So 4 ounces of water is at best equivalent to 1.25 ounces of gasoline.