The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Here we go again - 'puter problem - dead mouse. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59232)

Ron Mummert 02-13-2012 11:08 AM

Here we go again - 'puter problem - dead mouse.

Once again, I come on bended knee, to seek guidance from the younger generation. From one session to the next, my GF's mouse cursor froze. The machine was left "on" overnight, as it's always run on A/C power at home. I've been to 'puter help sites to no avail, & buying a new mouse ain't the issue; it's just that I'd like to know WHY this problem exists.

Cast of characters: One Dell Laptop with Windows Vista, & one Logitech wireless mouse; both about 5 years old. NOTE: I tried the mouse on MY HP desktop, & it works just fine!

What I've done so far - the usual stuff - Reboot 100 times, run defrag, run registry "fix". Re-set mouse button, un-plug transmitter umteen times, switched USB ports, de-installed driver, & re-installed. The computer tools thingy says, "Working properly" (LIAR!!)

The cursor works fine using the laptop's touch pad, but still stays locked from the mouse. No new wireless devices were added to, or taken from the room where the laptop is used. The ONLY thing that appears a bit goofy to me, is when I look at the screen that shows devices in use, it lists the mouse as a Synaptics P5/2 which it ain't - it's a Labtec. But it's probably said that since day one, as we've never had to tinker with anything ever.

If the answer is "buy new mouse", no sweat, but the mystery remains, & will drive me even crazier.

Ron, the un-geek.

dcarrb 02-13-2012 11:16 AM

Re: Here we go again - 'puter problem - dead mouse.

No computer geek here (and I use a Mac with a wired mouse besides), but I'd suggest going to system preferences/set-up, delete the "installed" mouse and re-introduce the one you want to use.

dcb

icingdeath88 02-13-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Mummert (Post 697059)
NOTE: I tried the mouse on MY HP desktop, & it works just fine!

de-installed driver, & re-installed.

You have done exactly the right things here.

Do you have a different mouse you can try on the laptop? Perhaps the one from the desktop?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Mummert (Post 697059)
The ONLY thing that appears a bit goofy to me, is when I look at the screen that shows devices in use, it lists the mouse as a Synaptics P5/2 which it ain't - it's a Labtec. But it's probably said that since day one, as we've never had to tinker with anything ever.

That is the laptop's touchpad. Synaptics makes all the touchpads for basically every laptop ever. Generic mice usually show up as "USB human interface devices".

Conn SVX 02-13-2012 12:13 PM

Stupid as this sounds... I was told to turn off the computer . Bring the mouse into another room, turn it on and then go get the mouse, I have never tried it. A computer geek told me this. They cant be in the same room . Try it can't hurt.
Also told me to try different USB ports.. I see you did that. Good luck!!!!:o

Chuckls 02-13-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 697061)

Do you have a different mouse you can try on the laptop? Perhaps the one from the desktop?

http://pawsru.org/f/src/f113885_I%20...%20Gorilla.jpg

svxcess 02-13-2012 01:20 PM

Talked with Ron a bit ago.

In the control panel under "mice and pointing devices" we looked under connected devices, hardware, and even in the Device Manager. His Logitech mouse does not show up anywhere. The only thing there is his touch pad (which the computer says is working properly)

He said he uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it, but since he did not have the original disc and did not download it from the internet or update the driver, I am not sure it was actually reinstalled., so the computer couldn't see it.
Plugging it in to his new desktop it worked fine instantly. Somehow there were compatible drivers installed or they weren't needed.

I wanted him to do a System Restore, but on this 5-year-old computer, there were no prior restore points to go to. He could create one for today, but that's it. I don't understand this; usually computers automatically create system checkpoints at various intervals or you can create them manually.

svxcess 02-13-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 697061)

His desktop mouse is a corded USB mouse. Doing this would verify if his USB ports were good. Plugging in a digital camera would also accomplish the same.

Landshark 02-13-2012 01:42 PM

Windows Vista is the problem - i also have the same POS OS.

I cant wait to get a new desktop, although with my luck, Windows 8 will have massive amounts of fail, also. :rolleyes:

Tim 02-13-2012 01:54 PM

Try turning off the touchpad? Sometimes a conflict could cause the touchpad and external mouse to fight each other. This could be done by doing FN + F5 etc (just make sure the key is labled as touchpad. It may not be F5)

Ron Mummert 02-13-2012 02:01 PM

[QUOTE=Conn SVX;697063]Stupid as this sounds... I was told to turn off the computer . Bring the mouse into another room, turn it on and then go get the mouse, I have never tried it. A computer geek told me this. They cant be in the same room . Try it can't hurt.

Your geek friends are probable still laughing over this one, Conn.

The only logic I can see here is if there's some kinda' RF interference that has somehow wormed its way into the mouseworks and.................Nah.

(but I tried it anyway):rolleyes:

Thanks, Ron.

Ron Mummert 02-13-2012 02:28 PM

Update. Correction - not that it matters much but, it's a Logitech mouse, not Labtec. My speakers are Labtec, so it's easy to see why I'm SO confused.

Thanks to all so far - In the meantime "Johnny on-the-spot" (SVXcess) & I have beat this to death via telephone. I've been enlightened to the fact that it's the "internal" mouse that's being recognized. Nonetheless, for the last 5 years, both mice lived in perfect harmony 'til, for no apparent reason, the ghost gave up.

It's been a long time since I connected an external mouse, & don't remember the process. If the driver was loaded from a disk, so be it. Anyway, the disk is buried "somewhere" in the house. As I mentioned, my desktop, which is fairly new, & running Windows 7, seemed to accept the wireless mouse simply by plugging in to a USB port. No other set-up required. I'm not going to try my wired mouse in her machine because it's cord "tacked" on to my desk, & wound around enough other wires to make the removal attempt ugly.

So.... My GF has informed me that a new Wally-World mouse is on its way home tonight. We'll start from scratch again.

But the real "WHY" question is still unsolved.

Humbly, Ron.

PS to John - The Logitech link you sent me wouldn't download "unless" I went to their site & performed some more monkey business, at which point I said " #@$!!&&".

Here's lookin' forward to new shiny mousie!:D

Ron Mummert 02-13-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 697070)
Try turning off the touchpad? Sometimes a conflict could cause the touchpad and external mouse to fight each other. This could be done by doing FN + F5 etc (just make sure the key is labled as touchpad. It may not be F5)

I must be missing something here, but if I do so, without ANY control working, how do I navigate back?

LastSVXintheChi 02-13-2012 03:04 PM

i was going to say to try and go to the logitech website and download the driver from them but it looks like you tried that...if not then there is 5 cents :D

svxcess 02-13-2012 03:45 PM

Ron did not have the Logitech model number, just an obscure part number inside the mouse

In the computer world, the odds of finding a driver for a 5 year old mouse is as difficult as finding the installation disk for Windows ME or an eight-track cartridge of Engelbert Humperdinck and Dusty Springfield. :lol:

and I have all three :lol:

Sean486 02-13-2012 04:28 PM

Have you tried changing the battery in the mouse?