The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brighten my day (Alternator woes) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31106)

michael 01-24-2006 07:50 PM

Brighten my day (Alternator woes)

So I have my alternator in 100 pieces and I'm trying to de-solder the stator. I go to radio shack to get a soldering gun, I see a tip for the iron that I already have for $10. I buy that and it turns out to be too low wattage, only 70w. I go to harbor freight for the big mama 150w. I take it home only to see a puff of smoke come out of it. I take it back for another one, only to get another puff of smoke. Take that one back and try another one out in the store and guess what! So I get my money back and go to lowe's for their 140w 3x more expensive gun. I open it up and there is no soldering tip, so back to lowes I go. I get my soldering tip, heat it up just enough to get 1 of the 4 wires loose and guess what! I've been trying to get these things loose for 3 days now, I'm ready to flip this thing right out the window. I now have a big vein sticking out of my forehead.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Hocrest 01-24-2006 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael
I now have a big vein sticking out of my forehead.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Maybe you can use that vein to desolder the other 3 wires???:D

michael 01-24-2006 08:07 PM

Thanks Dave I needed a laugh, I'm ready to chew my hand off.

michael 01-24-2006 08:09 PM

I think I'm going to take it to an alternator shop tomorrow.

Hocrest 01-24-2006 08:28 PM

Quote:

I think I'm going to take it to an alternator shop tomorrow.

Not sure if it will help or just make things worse, but I could let you borrow my torch this weekend???

I have a propane and also a MAPP/Oxygen. In the past I've used a propane torch and a screwdriver in place of an iron?????

michael 01-25-2006 05:13 AM

I have a Propane torch, do you think it would be safe to use? I don't know how much heat that thing can take. There are some plastic pieces in there. Thanks for the idea.

Earthworm 01-25-2006 10:39 AM

You need to quit smoking...imagine how black your lungs must be by now! :p :D

Hocrest 01-25-2006 03:59 PM

Quote:

I have a Propane torch, do you think it would be safe to use? I don't know how much heat that thing can take. There are some plastic pieces in there. Thanks for the idea.

I've never seen the inside of one, so I can't say for sure.

You probably don't want to be throwing more tool money at the problem, but Craftsman has a 150/230 watt gun for $30...

DarknessofDeath 01-25-2006 04:06 PM

maybe you should try some C4
??

SlonSVX5mt 01-25-2006 05:58 PM

Advice.

buy a used one your gonna spend more time and money fixing it. :D

SlonSVX5mt 01-25-2006 06:01 PM

hmmm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath
maybe you should try some C4
??

on the other hand maybe you right... try C4
Should work GREAT, ALot of SMOKE.. lol

DarknessofDeath 01-25-2006 06:05 PM

let us know the results
as soon as possible with pics.
yeah....that' would be great

michael 01-29-2006 11:21 AM

Well here are the results. I wish I had taken some before pics but use your imagination. Take an alternator paint it with some Wal-Mart "Chrome" spray paint then roll it around in the dirt, Before.

Here is the After

calisvx 01-29-2006 02:51 PM

i used a propane solder gun it works like a torch except it heats up a tip its reall cool and works like a charm i believe they sell it at lowes not sure i bought mine online cost 25 bucks ? i think well good luck.;)

ensteele 01-29-2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

Well here are the results. I wish I had taken some before pics but use your imagination. Take an alternator paint it with some Wal-Mart "Chrome" spray paint then roll it around in the dirt, Before.

Here is the After

Good job! It looks great, but does it work? :)